PDA

View Full Version : Flight Deck Jobs in USA for EU CITIZENS

plaindriver
9th Feb 2008, 16:43
Hi,

Just looking for some advice really. Currently employed in the UK on the 737. My wife has been offered a career changing opportunity in New York and also a chance for us both to live there. I really have no idea as to the possiblities of EU citizens and JAA rated pilots getting work over there, is this possible ? Is there work there ? Does anyone know where to look ?
Many thanks for any help/advice/direction pointing.

PD

mita
9th Feb 2008, 17:29
Hi,

Do you have the ability to work in the U.S.?

RRAAMJET
9th Feb 2008, 18:11
Plaindriver:

You'll need a Greencard to work, basically. I presume your wife is being sponsored for one, probably because a Company has gone in to bat for her with the INS? If so, as a permanent resident, I believe she will be able to sponsor you as well, though it takes time (could you consider commuting to the US in the meantime? NYC is easy to get to from UK...perhaps not so from my and your hometown, Edinburgh). The INS website is awful but has a flow-chart somewhere on it for you to follow, last time I looked.

As regards to licences: you go to the FSDO for the FAA, and they review your quals. You need them to auth. you for doing an abbreviated course of ATP writtens and Flight Test. Many schools in FL specializing in this, and it actually makes for a relaxing mini-vacation (the Flt test is thorough, though - don't get me wrong).

As to jobs: no idea how much time you have on the 737, etc, but the jobs are starting to open up here with some of the more desirable carriers if you have high time. FedEx, UPS, CAL, AirTran, Virgin USA, United are all accepting resumes, I believe. The commuters here are a grind...probably not your cup of tea, even if you've been flying for Easy or Ryan. My airline, AA, has 2000 still on furlough, but we're moving through the list and about 1/2 are not coming back - gone elsewhere. I just did a very comprehensive review of where we stand IRO other carriers around the world (I've flown for 6 others), and we still compare v. favourably in some areas (particularly: travel, commuting, schedule flexibility and pension) and not so good in others - pay (collapse of the dollar), medical costs, stagnation.

Finally, you might want to consider CX freighters based in NY...but I'm sure you've heard all about the in's and out of that...

PM me...I'm getting old, and some of the above may be out of date; hopefully others will correct me here where I am in error.:)

countbat
13th Feb 2008, 13:34
RRRamjet is right. Small adding if I may. Although it is illegal to do not hire someone for not being US citizen, many companies don't want to take the TSA papework hassle for commencing the training. The paperwork B.S. required by training schools is very quantity different when is coming between a US citizen and a non US citizen.

JW411
13th Feb 2008, 18:32
I'm not sure that you have to have a Green Card. If you can find a company that really needs your expertise then I think an L1 visa will suffice. (That is what I had when I flew DC-10s for a Part 121 operator out of JFK for over 3 years).

I think you need to think carefully about money.

The days of US airlines paying megabucks to pilots are over and the bucks that you can get are "two to the pound". Unless you are 16 years old you are unlikely to earn a decent seniority and salary with a US operator for a very long time.

One of my old F/Os is a trainer with NWA and his pension fund, salary and every other facet of his dedication to the company has all but disappeared.

Find another occupation in the USA and fly for fun. The money is cr*p.

Shaman
13th Feb 2008, 20:25
If you are a member of BALPA, a knowledgeable individual has posted some useful information on the general forum about converting a foreign licence.

BelArgUSA
14th Feb 2008, 13:51
Hola Plaindriver -
xxx
You will get a "Green Card" as you will be sponsored by your wife, so there will be no restrictions for employment by US air carriers for you. But read again what JW411 says here above... he is right about everything.
xxx
I recommend you to continue your employment on the 737 in the UK, even if that requires you to commute from JFK, once or twice a month. I worked for 22 years (1969-1991) for PanAm, based JFK (living in Los Angeles) and the commuting was no better than commuting would be from UK.
xxx
The US economy is in shambles, and the US airlines' low salaries (paid in devaluated dollars) offer very little in benefits, and retirement plans. There will be more airline bankruptcies and merges... After PanAm busted, I went overseas, and never considered going back, whether for work, or residence there. If you locate yourselves in the NYC area, I recommend you find a place to live in Connecticut, i.e. Hartford or Danbury...
xxx
Should you elect to ignore my recommendations, the only airline that might have a future would be Southwest Airlines, and as they are 737 operator, they might hire you thanks to your 737 background.
xxx
For you, the easiest, no nonsense way to get a FAA ATP certificate (with your 737 background) is to simply pass the written ATP exam (2 to 3 days preparation and test), and get a quick all-simulator 737 type rating at the same time, to get a full FAA ATP combined with 737 rating. All inclusive, the cost would be no more than some $3,000 to 5,000, and would take you about 1 week to 10 days of your time, at worst.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails