PDA

View Full Version : Airliners.net Photographers: Be Aware of new Terms of Use

snowfalcon2
9th Feb 2008, 16:10
If you have uploaded photos to the Airliners.net site, you'll want to know that the site has issued new Terms Of Use, which in effect gives the site the rights to use your photos in whichever way they want.

This is highly disturbing for any photographer who values his/her photos. So I hope Pprune don't mind me using this forum to spread the word to those photographers that might not have received e-mail from Airliners.net or visit the site regularly.

There is already a big discussion on the site's Site Related Forum demanding a revision of the new rules. But unless they change, the option for users who want to retain the control of the use of their photographs is to pull them from the site within 30 days. Hopefully that will not have to happen, but anyone concerned is recommended to follow the discussion on their forum.

akerosid
10th Feb 2008, 03:59
I had an email from Jetphotos.net this morning and they're obviously enjoying the mess A.net is making of this situation, asserting the following:

"In light of some recent developments in the aviation photography community, I felt that I needed to personally write all of you to reaffirm our commitment to protecting your rights as a photographer and copyright holder.

Firstly, while the scope of our usage license was always implied, we have added some specific text to our Photo Usage Terms, which you can see here on our site:

This additional text serves one purpose -- to put in writing the policy we've always had regarding use of your photos. In layman's terms, this policy states, uncategorically, that we assume no ownership rights of the photos you upload to JetPhotos.Net, that we will never use your photos for any purpose other than displaying them on the JetPhotos.Net website, and that if, in the future, you decide you no longer want to display your photos on the site, we will remove them from our database, no questions asked. Your photos belong to you, and how you want them to be used is your decision, not ours.

If you feel that we can change any aspect of our Photo Usage Policy to further benefit you, the photographer, please let me know personally by replying to this e-mail. I'd be very interested in hearing from you!

I hope this e-mail has reasserted our commitment to protecting your rights as individual photographers, and indeed the rights of the entire community. From myself, and the entire team at JetPhotos.Net, thank you for allowing us to display your images, and we look forward to serving you in the future."

I visited that thread above and it's quite clear that lots of photographers are getting quite upset about it; JP.net is presumably offering a new home for their photos.

Frankly I have no sympathy at all for A.net; they've always been very disrespectful to JP.net, even to the point of banning any link to (not just photos) - or mention of - JP.net. It would be a well-deserved comeuppance for A.net to see photos migrate en masse to JP.net.

Avman
10th Feb 2008, 10:07
As I understand it, A Net was sold by it's original owner and creator to some U.S. company. They obviously want to make some sort of commercial gain from what was up to now a very popular site, but have failed to comprehend what actually made the site so polular. Unless they make a 180 with their new policy I fancy that A Net will die a very rapid death.

markredgwell
10th Feb 2008, 16:28
A Large amount of People have been hitting the Delete key on airnets photo data base,Which will be Shrinking rappidly even as i type this.

The New Owners of Airnet will have an interesting Monday Morning in the Office! :eek: :mad: :mad: :eek: :confused: :ugh: