PDA

View Full Version : Mildly curious flight path on SQ333 today

Rush2112
9th Feb 2008, 02:10
Just arrived back from Paris on SQ333 ex CDG 08.02.08, landed SIN at 0645 09.02.08

During the flight, which was largely uneventful other than some very mild turbulence here and there, I was half dozing and I had the IFE on the flight path display. I noticed we were about halfway into the flight, about over Uzbekistan somewhere.

I felt the plane making a turn, which went on. And on. We made a complete 360, and then the plane carried on. Speed and altitude (according to the IFE anyway) appeared much as before, 1000kph ish and 33000ft. This was apparent from the plot on the IFE.

Mrs Rush noticed the odd reading on the display as well, so I am fairly sure I didn't dream the event.

Does anyone have any ideas why this manoeuvre would have been made? I wondered (flippantly) if the pilots were bored and seeing if anyone was awake, but feel this would be unlikely(!)

I would stress I am not suggesting any endangerment to me or SIA's 777ER, or any such thing,I am merely curious.

JEM60
9th Feb 2008, 11:33
Congested airway, doing it for spacing perhaps?????

parabellum
9th Feb 2008, 23:27
JEM60 is, I think, on the money. Happened to me in similar airspace, the option was to do a 360 and maintain altitude or descend to a lower altitude due to another aircraft joining the airway from the north who would have blocked my climb thereafter.

Rush2112
10th Feb 2008, 05:42
Thanks guys, sounds a likely reason. :ok: