PDA

View Full Version : Configuring a wireless repeater

r44flyer
8th Feb 2008, 23:11
Ok, I have a Netgear WGR614 wireless router, connected to a standard cable modem on Virgin. To boost the signal for the laptops downstairs I've bought a Linksys WRE54G range extender to act as a repeater.

It's configured properly, to the best of my knowledge. WEP security is enabled on both, with the correct keys used etc. I've even added the linksys mac address to the access list on the netgear, just in case.

Now, the linksys does appear to boost the signal as the connection speed has gone from 11mbps to 54 on the laptop downstairs. However, it won't connect to the internet when it's using the signal bounced from the linksys. The connection tries to work, then gives the error message saying it has limited connectivity and the internet won't work.

I have read briefly that it might be something to do with dynamic IP allocation, and that the linksys won't do it. If this is the case do I need to configure the laptop to use a static IP? How do I do this? If I do this, when the laptop roams and connects to the router instead of the repeater, as it's on static, will it cease to work? Does the whole system need to be on static IPs except of course for the connection to the cable, which is dynamic only?

I'm confused! :ugh:

Thanks in advance for any help folks.

Jim

twiggs
9th Feb 2008, 05:53
Enabling static IP is done using the router setup, just go into the router setup and enable it individually for each wireless connection.
It's not the laptop itself that has any settings changed, so when it connects to another wireless access point, it will be assigned an IP according to the settings of the router it connects to.
The IP is a local one, not to be confused with the IP assigned by the ISP, and usually has numbers like 192.168.1.64,65....upwards.

You will probably have to to the same for the repeater.

Does that help?

r44flyer
9th Feb 2008, 09:57
Problem solved!

I was actually to do with the settings on the actual laptop, not the router. The router can be changed to static IP addresses, but only those incoming from the ISP, not for each individually connected machine.

Anyway, changed IP and DNS values in TCP/IP settings for the wireless connection on the laptop to specific values instead of 'auto-detect', so now it doesn't ask the repeater to assign them, which it can't do.

Job done! :)

twiggs
9th Feb 2008, 10:23
Well done.
Don't forget though that you will need to change the laptop settings back to auto when you try to connect to a wireless connection other than your home one.:)