PDA

View Full Version : colour blind engineers

cessnasey
8th Feb 2008, 18:34
i hate to go on about this, dont mean to bore you guys. but im about to embark on a big career change and need to know the ins and outs before i continue...

are you a colour blind licenced aircraft engineer? did you have trouble finding work? how has it effected youre path. has it effected youre path?

oligoe
8th Feb 2008, 21:28
Hello Cessnasay,

I am colorblind and worked as an aircraft engineer for 9 years.
I never had to undergo any medical check (I have a Swiss JAR66 B1/B2), and I never had any problems during my daily duties.
The only problem you might have is to hold a boroscope authorisation, where in my company a medical check was requiered every 2 years.

Good luck,

og

Mike Echo
11th Feb 2008, 12:01
Also 30 years as an Engineer and never had a problem. It did have a slight amusing side as at one Airfield I couldn't drive but could happily taxi around when flying, as I had a PPL, and was authorised to taxi the aircraft (Biz Jets)to the run bay - duh.

Mike Echo

Flight time
12th Feb 2008, 15:55
That's not a bad career path. I would apply to Ikea or another mainline blind manufacturer. They usually start you off on the white or black blinds to begin with. And then after say three years they move you on to colour ones.

Hope this helps Dude :ok:

Flight time
12th Feb 2008, 16:00
Sorry. Couldn't resist it. ;)
I did my apprenticeship with a guy who was colour blind. He slipped through the medical somehow. He was an electrican, after 1 year BAe found out and tried to get rid of him. After much support from us and the union he managed to complete his apprenticeship and work as an avionics eng (Licenced).
So go for it Dude, Good luck :ok:

cessnasey
12th Feb 2008, 17:29
Thanks for all the replys to this thread so far. Its been great. Anymore stories of success/failure? Id love to hear them, keep em coming!

There are many threads concerning the situation with colour defective pilots, However nothing on the engineering section of aviation. Im hoping this means that colour blindness is not much of an issue. As i havent heard of any major failures yet, Just a few obstacles to pass along the way...