PDA

View Full Version : Thug who left RAF Hero in Fight for Life gets 2 years

November4
8th Feb 2008, 17:39
Apologises if this is not appropriate but....2 year sentence for causing multiple skull fractures!...:mad: :mad:

Attack in Bath City (http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=180730&command=displayContent&sourceNode=232315&home=yes&more_nodeId1=163047&contentPK=19797754)

THUG WHO LEFT RAF HERO IN FIGHT FOR HIS LIFE

10:00 - 07 February 2008

A man has begun a two-year jail sentence for a drunken attack which has put the career of a distinguished RAF pilot in jeopardy.

Removal man Damian Salter's victim needed life-saving surgery after being attacked when he challenged youths misbehaving in a city street.

Distinguished officer David Lawrenson, who has seen action in Iraq and Afghanistan, suffered multiple skull fractures and a blood clot on his brain as a result of the assault in Widcombe.

A judge at Bristol Crown Court this week jailed Salter - a onetime football hooligan with previous convictions for violence - for two years.

Mr Lawrenson, 38, said the attack outside The Ram pub in Claverton Street on March 24 last year, continued to affect his life.

"Ten months on, I am looking forward to putting the events of that evening behind me and hoping I shall be able to fly again soon," he said.

"However, at this time, owing to the injuries that I sustained, I am grounded, awaiting medical approval, and the future regarding my flying career is uncertain."

Mr Lawrenson had been enjoying a night out with his brother and a friend when they encountered a group of young people behaving "yobbishly" in the street, prosecutor Ian Fenny told the court.

One of the youths who was challenged over his behaviour struck Mr Lawrenson's brother Anthony over the head with a glass bottle.

Salter, 40, from Armes Court, Widcombe, arrived on the scene and delivered a single blow to Mr Lawrenson's head.

The pilot fell to the floor and suffered a skull fracture, two fractures to his right eye socket and a fracture to his left temple.

A clot built up on his brain and it was only the skill of paramedics and surgeons that saved his life.

Mr Fenny said: "Mr Lawrenson has no memory of what happened, unsurprisingly in view of the catastrophic injuries he suffered."

Appalled by the attack they had witnessed, some of the teenagers got in touch with the Bath detectives investigating the incident and helped officers build up a case.

Salter, who has a football banning order, left the scene of the attack but surrendered to police the following day. He later admitted a charge of inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Ian Dixey, defending, said his client had thought there was a struggle going on when he arrived at the scene and had intervened.

Jailing Salter, Judge Richard Bromilow told him: "What I have to sentence you for is what you did when you took the law into your own hands in front of a lot of people, and young people, when too much drink had been taken.

"I have read a lot about David Lawrenson and his life. He's a decent, hard-working individual representing the country in some pretty dark parts of the world.

"His distinguished career has effectively been brought to an end by your act of folly. He now faces an uncertain future.

"There were very serious injuries. I'm sure that Mr Lawrenson's family for a period of time were worried about whether he would survive.

"You pleaded guilty at the 11th hour. I have read about you in your pre-sentence report. You clearly have a problem when you are out and about, drinking excessively in company.

"You are going to have some time to think about that."

After the case, Mr Lawrenson, who has been an RAF pilot for 18 years, thanked medical staff: "If it was not for the medical expertise of the doctors, nurses and paramedics involved in my care at the scene, and later at both the Royal United Hospital and Frenchay Hospital, I would not have survived my injuries.

"I am also very grateful to all of those young people who have shown great courage in stepping forward and helping the police investigate what happened that evening.

"I would also like to extend a sincere thank you to the local police for their dedication and determination in bringing those responsible to justice."

In a separate court case relating to the incident, a youth aged 15 at the time of the attack admitted affray and causing actual bodily harm to Mr Lawrenson. He was given a two-year supervision order by Bath Youth Court.

TheInquisitor
8th Feb 2008, 17:49
Thank god they caught that bastard. But only 2 years? You have GOT to be joking?

I think he should be 'invited' to the next LXX beercall, where the Sqn would have the opportunity to dish out some real justice...

Dave, I wish you all the best, mate.

minigundiplomat
8th Feb 2008, 21:37
Invite him for a 'walk' at Holbeach. We'll do the rest!

XL319
8th Feb 2008, 21:46
here here!! I say lets bring back national service for the "thugs" and initiation cermonies ;) I dont think he'd make it alive :suspect:

SirToppamHat
8th Feb 2008, 21:56
I believe a 2-year sentence means he will only serve one year.

STH

Tigs2
8th Feb 2008, 23:44
I am sure enough people at the Squadron know enough people who wear balaclavas who would be only to willing to hold a party for him in a years time.

Dan D'air
9th Feb 2008, 01:46
Bring the fecker over here to Surrey. Am sure that we could mete out some local justice, especially in light of what has happened here this evening. You chav scum.

I am so angry that I'm having difficulty writing this down.

Technically accurate, but unrepresentative, just like this current government.

Thaihawk
9th Feb 2008, 18:45
This moron should be looking at the wrong end of a 20 year sentence,NOT 2 years.:=

Green Flash
9th Feb 2008, 18:49
20 year sentence

Oh, he might be. 1 year in jail, and 19 looking over his shoulder ..... wondering ..... who ..... where ..... when .....

Brian Abraham
10th Feb 2008, 04:21
How about a guard of "honour" (term used loosely) upon his release with swords drawn. :E

bwfg3
10th Feb 2008, 06:13
It amazes me that judges comment on the effect of booze on some nutters but cannot ban them from drinking for life. Impose a ban and jail them if they do not comply..But its against his "uman rights" init? Should have been prosecuted for attempted murder and 10 years would have been appropriate.

MrBunker
10th Feb 2008, 06:20
Shameless waste of DNA. Keep checking your six you nasty little so and so.