PDA

View Full Version : MERTs and Wokkas in Afghan

airsound
8th Feb 2008, 11:08
Channel 4 News broadcast a report yesterday by the excellent team of reporter Alex Thomson and cameraman Stuart Webb on the work of the MERTs.

If you're as higgerant as I am and didn't know what MERT stands for - it's Medical Emergency Response Team.

The piece is mysteriously called 'Miliband Backs Troops in Afghanistan', and you need to click on Watch the report

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/politics/international_politics/miliband+backs+troops+in+afghanistan/1507947

I found it takes a while to download, and it'll cut short and return you to the start if it's not fully downloaded - but it's worth waiting for.

airsound

Green Flash
8th Feb 2008, 11:51
Blimey.:ooh:

:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok: to all concerned. Thoughts are with the guy who didn't make it.

airborne_artist
8th Feb 2008, 11:52
A top report about some very professional guys/gals, who will be kept busy for a long time yet, I fear.

Green Flash
8th Feb 2008, 12:04
Along with advances in technology (ie smaller & better cameras etc) has come some advances in camera men and women. Stuart Webb, :ok:

noregrets
8th Feb 2008, 12:52
Came across this clip by chance last night - excellent stuff. One thing struck me though - the reporter claimed that the medics were reduced to communicating with each other in flight by means of shouting and hand signals 'because they hadn't been issued radios'. Q: would they have been permitted to use radios in the back of the Chinook? Or did he mean the in-cabin R/T?

(or was he just trying to make a political point?)

TheWizard
8th Feb 2008, 13:05
You can quite safely use personal radios in the back, as many troops do. You will notice that some of the team are wearing flying helmets so could plug into the intercom system. The problem comes with tangled up leads and live mics so most times (certainly on the Merlin) the IRT Docs and medics need to work 'unattached'. They also need both hands free so often shouting is the simplest and easiest way to operate.:)

jez_s
8th Feb 2008, 13:16
Hats off though to the girls and boys for doing such good work.:ok:

Tigs2
8th Feb 2008, 14:07
Airsound

Awesome report, thanks for posting:ok:

PPRuNe Pop
8th Feb 2008, 14:44
A brilliant brilliant job being done there by the MERT's. I didn't know about them. I do now!! And how.

From a PPRuNe point of view, and subsequently, all our readers, Mil et al. It is fantastic that we get threads like this. Otherwise how would we really be aware.

We are thinking about you in harms way out there guys and gals. Really, we are. :D:D:D:ok:

Edit: In Iraq too, of course. :O:ok:

Keep safe.

PPP

Regie Mental
8th Feb 2008, 15:04
I agree. Like most on here I dare say, I don't watch Ch4 news so would have missed it but for this thread. Have cascaded it as essential viewing to all in my unit.

Also, next time those on here have cause to attack journos as all being scum, spare a thought for well balanced, informative pieces like this (and those from Alistair Leathhead on BBC).

airsound
8th Feb 2008, 15:53
Regie, I fear you may be right when you say that most PPRuNers don't watch Channel 4 News. For what it's worth, I believe the 1900 edition of C4N is easily the best tv news of the day. Amongst other things military and aviation-related, it has doggedly pursued the Chinook/Mull story when others gave up long ago.

I also agree that Alastair Leithead is doing excellent front-line work for the Beeb.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment to (some of) the scum - I'm sure it's appreciated.

airsound

PS Thanks to all other posters as well!

Pilot Pacifier
8th Feb 2008, 17:38
Just to add some info that probably isn't common knowledge...

During the day and night we get airborne in the Wokka well below what our mandate is. A slick start by just one pilot and one crewman whilst the other two are getting the details means that we regularly do it well below the maximum time we given.

Some of you may wonder why we aren't manning the aircraft 24/7 in these circumstances, well it takes a finite amount of time to get the info of where and if the Medevac needs to take place, in that time the aircraft is spun and ready to go.

We of course couldn't do this without the support of the engineers who do their utmost in making sure we get away without any troubles.

The MERTS, aircrew, engineers and the force protection guys that we carry with us are all responsible in the incredible number of injured personnel that make it when statistics say they shouldn't have done. It's no mean feat believe me for it all to come together in such a slick operation :D:D:D

Edited to save embarrassment! :oh:

TheWizard
8th Feb 2008, 19:12
Not withstanding, the Channel 4 article is great PR and shows what many don't see goes on behind the scenes.:D

PPRuNe Pop
8th Feb 2008, 19:24
It's no mean feat believe me for it all to come together in such a slick operation

It it obvious that it is all teamwork, and that one observation makes it very special indeed.

Our prayers are with you in both theaters.

PPP

minigundiplomat
8th Feb 2008, 21:41
With all due respect PP, there is probably a good reason for that. This is not a criticism or any other type of petty argument as we do the same thing in the other theatre but some info should remain where it is.

I can imagine the Taleban rubbing their hands with glee to discover only two crew start the aircraft, and that the engineers help. Glad your here to police affairs Wizard!

Tigs2
8th Feb 2008, 21:49
PP has not said anything wrong, and I doubt very much that the Taliban are rubbing their hands with glee infact they wouldn't even notice the info if people did not (incorrectly) say it is valuable int.

minigundiplomat
8th Feb 2008, 21:58
Sarcasm this is Tigs, Tigs this is sarcasm

TheWizard
8th Feb 2008, 21:58
MGD - Don't try and get ahead, just keep up. The info referred to has been removed.
Anyway, I thought it was only you that did all the policing. At least thats what you tell us on an almost daily basis. http://forums.airshows.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/loser.gif

Tigs2 - similar information has been used before and sadly very effectively.

minigundiplomat
8th Feb 2008, 22:16
Wizard - Are you still standing up, with trumpets and drums, or have you actually started doing anything yet. Thought so!

Tigs2
8th Feb 2008, 22:24
MGD

You are correct sir, it is! I happily award myself 'tool of the day award':}

minigundiplomat
8th Feb 2008, 22:29
Don't be too harsh on yourself Tigs, as I will share the award. As Wizard pointed out, by not having followed the thread all evening, I didn't notice that PP had actually removed the 'sensitive' information.
I look forward to 78 Sqn arriving in theatre and showing us where we have been going wrong all this time.

minigundiplomat
8th Feb 2008, 23:07
We have an OCF not an OCU. As far as I am aware, they don't. I'm not on the OCF. Any more pearls of wisdom?

Occasional Aviator
8th Feb 2008, 23:37
MGD,

Please try to keep up. Merlin has been operational some years now and working very hard in Iraq. Your force has done incredibly well, and everyone acknowledges that, but that doesn't mean that other forces are less professional or worthwhile.

Toddington Ted
9th Feb 2008, 03:39
As media luvvies we were particularly pleased with the MERT piece as it shows the gritty reality of the conflict. Thanks to the guys and girls who allowed the embed. Channel 4 have done some good pieces for us with the Bootnecks too, including reconstruction projects, and they are currently still in theatre with us. Next week we have 3 more groups of journos arriving and hopefully we can let the world know a bit more about life out here. (Less than 50 days to do!:bored:)

Talking Radalt
9th Feb 2008, 08:26
You can quite safely use personal radios in the back, as many troops do.
Two snags there. One, you have to have been issued a PRR in the first place which the MERTs aren't (as mentioned in the report), and even if you do have one, all your conversation will still be drowned in the whine of two engines, five transmissions and the navigator.
You will notice that some of the team are wearing flying helmets so could plug into the intercom system
....which is also used by the crew to try and operate the aircraft. A crowded intercom is as big a pain as a crowded aircraft. :rolleyes:

We have an OCF not an OCU. As far as I am aware, they don't
Get aware then. Yes, they (the instructors) do.

TheWizard
9th Feb 2008, 09:06
You are absolutely correct TR hence the next sentence after the line you have quoted :)

You will notice that some of the team are wearing flying helmets so could plug into the intercom system. The problem comes with tangled up leads and live mics

I have no idea why the MERTs in Afghan do not have PRR ,as they do in Iraq so that they can keep in touch with their QRF/ARF. Perhaps they haven't requested them? I guess only they can answer that one.

MGD, keep going, eventually the hole will be deep enough that you can't be heard.

Talking Radalt
9th Feb 2008, 09:34
I wasn't referring to tangled up leads and stuff.
I meant the problem of too many people all trying to talk at once (so a bit like Main Building in that respect)

minigundiplomat
9th Feb 2008, 10:28
Get aware then. Yes, they (the instructors) do.

Never said they didn't, but none have been out there any of the times I have been there. And as for the 'get aware' , get over yourself.

MGD, keep going, eventually the hole will be deep enough that you can't be heard

Whatever, I am perfectly willing to change my opinion, but until the Merlin does something to alter my opinion, it's the one I'm sticking with. If you don't like it...tough, but it is my opinion. Your not shy of sharing yours.

Talking Radalt
9th Feb 2008, 10:33
Never said they didn't, but none have been out there any of the times I have been there
Well, actually you DID say they don't deploy (as far as you were aware), which is a little unfair towards those who have, admirably, started breaking the mould so far as OCF deloyability is concerned. If you must make such sweeping assumptions at the expense of other people's reputations, surely you expect some flames?
Little blinkered isn't it? "I don't know about it so therefore the answer's no"

TheWizard
9th Feb 2008, 11:05
If you don't like it...tough, but it is my opinion. Your not shy of sharing yours.
Today 10:34

Mmm, 184 posts in nine weeks compared to 151 in three years.
I think you win the 'opinion' title hands down:D:rolleyes:

Anyway, back to the thread....

Talking Radalt
9th Feb 2008, 11:27
Surely you mean the "opinionated" title Wiz? :ok:

minigundiplomat
9th Feb 2008, 13:58
If you are one of the small number that have deployed on behalf of the OCF, then you deserve the credit for breaking the mould. The majority, however, don't.
Some, and it is a small number I'll admit, or quite happy to live off a very stale experience of Ops, and pass it on as gospel. You (if your who I think you are, are not in that category) but many are.

To get back to the point raised by AIDU, I am not on the OCF (nor would I want to be), and the OCF collectively, do not deploy as a matter of course. I personally have never seen a member of the OCF in theatre. But if you want to carry on splitting hairs....

PPRuNe Pop
9th Feb 2008, 15:44
You know guys, it is tradition that this forum is self moderating. Well that's the idea anyway. But sad to say that for the past two pages there has been a dig here, a poke there and silly attempts at oneupmanship. Time to call a halt guys and get back on topic.

Take a moment to think - before you submit a post, and also take a moment to wonder. Just what the guys and gals reading this think of you who have lowered the tone on their efforts.

Do I have a point? I think I do.

Chugalug2
9th Feb 2008, 17:39
Thank you Pop, as you say back to the thread! Thanks to airsound for the heads up on the item, thanks to channel 4 for showing it, thanks to the crew for filming it and above all thanks to the MERTs. Low profile, dedicated, professional and doing an outstanding job, well done ladies and gents all! Oh, and a plug for the Wokkas, whether in this thread or Ross Kemp's or "Above Enemy Lines" always there, the means by which all the rest is done. :ok:

MightyGem
9th Feb 2008, 21:39
Superb work by everyone involved. Did I not see the good Mr Padbury in "Above Enemy Lines"? He'll be after an Equity card next.

AngryDave
9th Feb 2008, 21:55
I was just about to say the same thing. He was a Flying Officer in 'Above Enemy Lines' but has since been promoted. How often do the crews go out there, or would he have been promoted and is on the same tour?

KeyPilot
9th Feb 2008, 22:42
Indeed thanks to airsound (Sean?) for bringing everyone's attention to this. I did see the Channel 4 piece, I was very busy and only had it on in the background but stopped what I was doing and was spellbound.

As has been said, Channel 4 News is much the best evening news programme and has a long history of showing military stories in some detail and without the irritating and damaging BBC and ITV habit of reducing everything to "joe public" friendly soundbites. They have indeed pursued the Mull of Kintyre injustice, but I am surprised that no-one has yet mentioned that Alex Thomson created something of a legal precedent when he refused to be forced to reveal his (ex-Para) sources to the Bloody Sunday enquiry, taking it all the way to the high court and winning. Oh and Krishnan Guru-Murthy wanted to be a wokka pilot before be got into the media (honestly - I know him personally).

Channel 4 News is a professional, detailed, insightful and (surpisingly given Jon Snow's famous left-leaning) military-friendly news programme. I commend it to everyone.

And - of course - well done to all the MERT chaps and chapesses from the medics to the pilots to the gunners - you guys demonstrate the very finest of the British military spirit - low key, professional, EFFECTIVE.

KP

Tigs2
9th Feb 2008, 23:09
Pop
Thanks for your post.

MGD

since when has ANYBODY on an OCU, OCF or Sqn for that matter had any control over where and when they get posted or deployed?? I think if the powers that be told you on the quiet you were going to be looked over for your next trip to the sandpit you would not complain one iota. Non of the lads and lasses choose where they go, and if instructors are left on an OCF without recent deployment experience, then they have to do the best job they can to train the new guys with whatever experiences they have.

Your post

If you are one of the small number that have deployed on behalf of the OCF, then you deserve the credit for breaking the mould. The majority, however, don't.(WTF!!)

Some, and it is a small number I'll admit, or quite happy to live off a very stale experience of Ops, and pass it on as gospel. You (if your who I think you are, are not in that category) but many are.

To get back to the point raised by AIDU, I am not on the OCF (nor would I want to be), and the OCF collectively, do not deploy as a matter of course. I personally have never seen a member of the OCF in theatre. But if you want to carry on splitting hairs....

Is frankly not one I would want to see from somebody I was supposed to go to war with. As for your last bit, I hope you are posted to an OCF and the understand what it is like to have people as short sighted as you thinking that they are REMFS. You should be ashamed of yourself for the post, and bye the way, if it wasn't for some Remf on an OCU/OCF giving you the time of day you wouldn't be doing your job now.:mad::mad:

You've touched a nerve mate! (and no I was never on an OCU/OCF apart from as a stude). The difference between us is that despite banter, if you cut me through the middle you would find a roundel, in you ther would just be a squadron badge.

minigundiplomat
10th Feb 2008, 15:33
Tigs,

I think you need to take a chill pill my old son. I don't want to go to the OCF, just as I don't want to change type or become a Flt Ops Officer. I don't want to pay more tax or have nails hammered into my feet.
We all have things we don't want to do, even you. I just expressed mine in response to a post.
Are some of the OCF out of date....YES. Are some of them doing a top notch job, day in day out....YES. And I stand very firmly by my post, despite your knee jerk morale outrage.
As for your comments about not complaining if told I was not going to the sandpit, I find that a bit of an assumption and possibly a little reflective of your own mindset.
I always deploy, and always will deploy. Partly because of quals, partly because I enjoy it (being away from Odius is no bad thing these days), but mostly because that is the job I joined to do.
Well done on having a roundel. I think you'll find many of JHC have chucked theirs away having been cut adrift by the RAF. But if it keeps you happy, it's a good thing.

Now, can we get back onto topic, or does anyone else want to have a pop?

airborne_artist
10th Feb 2008, 16:13
Back on topic, you can show your appreciation to Alex Thomson (and through him, to the camerman, Stuart Webb) by sending an email to him using [email protected]

minigundiplomat
10th Feb 2008, 18:46
At the risk of upsetting someone else, I think there has been some great coverage of Ops lately. C4 and Sky have done particularly well, as have, and this suprises me, BBC2 with the Above Enemy Lines programme.

It is a great pity that Iraq did not benefit from the positive coverage afforded to Afghanistan. But then, Iraq was always questionable....

airsound
10th Feb 2008, 18:57
Can't think why you should feel you're upsetting anyone, MGD.

My only question is - does your 'mini' refer to the gun or your abilities as a diplomat?

airsound

minigundiplomat
10th Feb 2008, 21:11
My only question is - does your 'mini' refer to the gun or your abilities as a diplomat

Good banter. Maybe a lesson for others. I actually miss AIDU, at least he doesn't take things personally.

Gainesy
11th Feb 2008, 16:34
I actually miss AIDU

Well, you could try leading him a tad more.:)

airsound
12th Feb 2008, 10:05
The Alex Thomson/Stuart Webb team produced another rivetting report Monday evening, for anyone not yet converted to Channel 4 News. This one doesn't have much aviation in it (apart from an Apache) - but it does show how much effort C4 are putting into things military. The piece is called 'Is latest massacre of Taliban futile?'

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/politics/international_politics/is+latest+massacre+of+taliban+futile/1535347

airsound

alex thomson
12th Feb 2008, 17:37
Apologies for trespassing into the arena of experts. Just to say thanks for kind comments on the astonishing work of the MERT team at Bastion. And indeed cameraman Stuart Webb. Thanks to all who cascaded this on to those who need to know but don't watch C4 News (how could you not??)

And yes, after 13 years and more than 34 reports C4News will never, ever let the Mull of Kintyre shame rest until it is righted. About which I have high hopes in the coming weeks.

Thanks - alex t

alex thomson
12th Feb 2008, 17:40
Yes, it's just [email protected] -- but you don't have to be polite or appreciative. criticism and stories are welcome too.thankyou.

Chugalug2
12th Feb 2008, 17:51
The piece is called 'Is latest massacre of Taliban futile?'

it's very hard to determine what was achieved by the Kajaki Dam battle, territorially, morally or in terms of winning hearts and minds.

The piece (title and excerpt above) being the write up by Alex Thomson on the Channel 4/News/International Politics page that you link us to, airsound, rather than the video of the filmed piece which is in turn linked from that. I make the contrast as there was no such reservation on the video AFAIK, other than the end piece comment that both sides would have claimed success. The comment above is good Guardianesque woolly minded nonsense IMHO, the aim was not to win territory but to stop further T'ban encroachment towards the Dam, all war is immoral but sometimes it is also the least immoral course on offer, if the dam is lost to the T'ban then many tens of thousands of H's and M's would also be lost. A rather disappointing tag to what otherwise was an excellent item. Co-incidentally the dam defence was also the subject of last night's episode of Ross Kemp in Afghanistan, by the Royal Anglians who were readying themselves to hand over to the Royal Marines shown in this piece. The mature professionalism of such young men in both pieces was admirable, as was their cool courage. Respect!

Tigs2
12th Feb 2008, 18:14
Alex

Welcome. What do think of the Ross Kemp programme?

minigundiplomat
12th Feb 2008, 21:22
Alex,

Good stuff and some excellent camerawork. I think we all owe you a debt of gratitude, as we do a certain Mr Kemp, for keeping Afghanistan in the public eye.
I am a follower of C4 news, and enjoy your work. Not sure about some of Jon Snow's socks though!

MGD

Chugalug2
14th Feb 2008, 10:50
Well this all went rather quiet didn't it? I hope it wasn't because of anything untoward that someone said! :O
First off I stand by the comments that I made re Alex's piece. Second my posting overlapped with his (two) which I was thus unaware of. If I had seen them before I would have welcomed him to the forum as I do now. Alex, your piece was excellent as was last week's. It takes rare courage to go unarmed and untrained into such dangerous situations (though I am sure that rudimentary stay alive advice was given). So bravo to you and Stuart Webb for doing so again and again. My reservation is of course with the written piece quoted on my previous post, that did not appear on TV and thus leaves me puzzled. You are embedded and subject to MOD censorship. You are careful what you say and talk obliquely about heavy T'ban casualties and leave it at that, which is all that goes out on Ch4. On their web site however you talk of a 'massacre' and wonder what if anything was achieved in this battle. If you had such reservations why weren't they aired on TV? They would surely have been the 'real' story! Does the fact that you have further reports to file inhibit you? Was the web piece merely a sop to your concerns? You were there, I wasn't (I'm glad to say). Did you pick up these vibes off of the Marines, or was it your own instinctive revulsion of the sheer waste of war? Rather reminds me of the Jack Hawkins preacher character in Zulu, as he is bundled indoors with a "Come along now gentleman sir, you're upsetting the lads". Will you impart your concerns to the lads when you see them next, Alex? Will you "Tell it to the Marines"?

air pig
15th Feb 2008, 15:07
As suggested, sent an e-mail of appreciation to AT. Wonderful reply back to me, with some illuminating information, he had to fight to film that package. Some obstruction from higher up the food chain and not by what he intimates from in theatre.

PPRuNe Towers
22nd Dec 2008, 14:55
Had some correspondence with AT of Channel 4 News during the day and he promises another cracking Afghanistan report tomorrow. He mentioned there should be a lead in for it in the Torygraph as well.

Rob

SPIT
20th Feb 2010, 19:31
And to think some Footballers are getting £30.000 p/w because they have the hard job of kicking a Ball around, yet these Medics only get basic pay for saving lives ???? :confused::confused::mad::mad:

wokkamate
20th Feb 2010, 20:42
MGD - I am 100% with you mate. As someone who has done 7 tours in AFG and 4 in IZ, I have a small amount of experience. I also have an opinion and the freedom of speech that I fight for is what MGD is exercising on here. If you don't like what he is saying then come back with reasoned arguement.

I have been part of the RAF SH force for 17 years now and do not feel like I am in the RAF, cur me in half and you will find several Sqn badges representing my mates - those who i have gone to war with in every conflict we have fought in since Gulf One. That is who I am, the RAF is still driven by FJ mates (notwithstanding ACAS - good on ya!) but there is a generation of non FJ senior officers pushing through the higher echelons now, I hope they do a better job of representing the most operationally experienced force in this Air Force.

Minor rant over. :ok: