PDA

View Full Version : Wireless connection help needed

fireflybob
8th Feb 2008, 08:43
When I look for a wirless connection on my Dell laptop it says:-

No wireless networks were found in range. Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on. To see an updated list, click "Refresh network list".

When I "Refresh network list" I get the same message again.

I am not an expert - can anyone tell me how to restore my wirless connection?

Thanks for any help.

Saab Dastard
8th Feb 2008, 08:54
Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on

This might be a clue!

SD

fireflybob
8th Feb 2008, 09:02
Yes I know I am not really that stupid but I am a mere pilot LOL

Ok read the manual and found how to switch it on. It's a long saga but I got a wireless router on my main pc but gave up trying to get my laptop to communicate with same - perhaps I will try again when my mind is clearer!

Keef
8th Feb 2008, 11:15
Is the wireless router on your main PC, or on the modem that connects you to the Internet?

If you have a choice about where to connect it, I'd feed the modem to the wireless router, and hard-wire the desktop PC to the router bit. That leaves you with the wireless which can be configured however you decide.

I never got on with wireless or routers connected to the PC - it adds a level of complexity that doesn't help. Connect the PC to the router, not vice-versa.

Andy Rylance
11th Feb 2008, 11:26
Sounds like your wireless card/adaptor is deactivated on that computer.

Control panel time to switch it back on.

Wader2
11th Feb 2008, 11:50
Download a copy of Netstumbler. This will then show if you can see your wireless router.

I had an issue where the router worked with the wired PC but not to the laptop over the wireless. Took the laptop for a walk, and Netstumbler confirmed that there were other wireless networks available, is the laptop card was enabled and working.

It also confirmed that the router was not. After a period of OFF the router was then seen to light up but there were gaps in the signal/noise display. Because it was gapping the laptop could not get a lock.

The ultimate solution was a new router. This gave much better results until one day it too went tango uniform but a regular period of OFF and it worked ever since. I now control all my computer mains adapters using a remote control socket and knock the lot off when I stop for the day. This also lets the lot cool down and the router and printer to reset.

fireflybob
13th Feb 2008, 14:08
Thanks for the replies, have tried various fixes, still to no avail.

I am at a friends house here who has a BT HomeHub. My Dell Inspiron 6000 is seeing the Wireless network but when I try to connect is says "Waiting to connect to Network" but then does not do so!

BOAC
13th Feb 2008, 14:26
Several points cropping up here, FFB. Do we assume you are referring to connecting to an established home wifi setup?

1) You say "I got a wireless router on my main pc". As Keef has asked, do you mean the router is actually physically 'ON' the PC or do you mean a wireless card/dongle is 'ON' the pC and you use a modem to connect to the internet?

2) Assuming a router: Do we assume from your posts that you can connect to the wifi router from the home PC?

3) If so, can you access the router control panel?

4) If so, is SSID turned on? If not, turn it on and see if Lappie can 'see' it.

5) Is your router encrypted - WEP or WPA? 2 options - best: ensure the password for this is set on the Lappie or just turn the encryption off for the test.

6) Lastly, which programme are you using for controlling your wireless connection? For Dell we assume Windows - XP or Vista? Are you using Windows to control the wifi or a different programme installed by the wifi system?

Please hand your homework in when complete:)

Saab Dastard
13th Feb 2008, 15:36
I am at a friends house here who has a BT HomeHub. My Dell Inspiron 6000 is seeing the Wireless network but when I try to connect is says "Waiting to connect to Network" but then does not do so!

1) MAC address filtering active - add your MAC address to WAP list
2) WEP or WPA encryption active - obtain shared key
3) DHCP not active on WAP / router - activate on WAP / router, ensure range large enough
4) DHCP not active on laptop - set to automatically obtain IP address etc.
5) 802.11 b/g mismatch - check WAP and laptop wifi card set to same speed (or "any").

SD