PDA

View Full Version : Storing Outlook data in a different directory

8th Feb 2008, 04:55
Apologies, as I know this has been covered in the past, but I've been unable to find it using the 'search' function.

I'd like to store my Outlook data in a more easily backed up location than in its usual place in 'Documents and Settings'. i.e., to make the new location the permanent storage place for messages and the address book. This is very easily done in Outlook Express, (at least moving the message storage location), but not quite so straightforward with full Outlook.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

I'm not looking to do a backup in the new location, (I can see how to do that), but having the working Outlook file, which is updated every time I send and receive an email, located in another directory than C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Applications etc

Thanks in advance.

Well Travelled Nav
8th Feb 2008, 05:59
This is relertively simple.

Just cut the .pst file from the c:/doucuments and settings/"your name"/local settings/application data/microsoft/outlook folder to the area you want to store it.

Now open outlook, it will ask you for the new location as it will not be able to find the file in the original location.

Now when you open outlook, it will use the file in the new location.

Hope this helps

WTN

8th Feb 2008, 06:22
Thanks, WellTravelled, now I remember!

BOAC
8th Feb 2008, 07:48
From bitter experience with Windows:

1) Do NOT try the move with outlook open.
2) COPY the folder first, delete when you are successful

Feline
8th Feb 2008, 09:55
Thanks for asking the question 410 - and answering it Well Travelled and BOAC - that just saved me some arduous MBA (Microsoft Buggerin' Around)! :D:D:D

Keef
8th Feb 2008, 11:19
Agree absolutely with BOAC: copy it to the new location (or keep a backup somewhere else), but change the name and suffix in the old location so it can't find it there.

And then recognise that one day, quietly and without telling you, it may well create a new datafile in the original location. I spent a wonderfully interesting hour with a friend's computer where that had happened.

Wiley
8th Feb 2008, 12:30
There's another way, but after reading the comments above about not doing the move with Outlook open, it probably should be approached with caution.

Tools/Options/Mail Setup/Email accounts - Change Folder.

Possibly better used to check that the first method worked.

Feline
8th Feb 2008, 14:13
Keef - Another classic example of MBA, or perhaps even MBYA (Microsoft Buggerin' YOU Around) :{