PDA

View Full Version : What a silly billy!

SpannerInTheWerks
7th Feb 2008, 19:28
What a silly billy I've been.

Since the 90s I've been 'dual rated' on both Apple Macs and PCs.

My partner uses Apple Macs too, but has a Sony Vaio with Vista installed (ugh!) which she uses for downloading from sites not compatible with Macs.

(Un)fortunately the computer packed up the other day with the message 'unable to find operating system'.

Thinking it would be straightforward, and in a moment of bravado, I thought now was my chance to install Windows XP in place of Vista!

Now with an Apple Mac not much can go wrong - either it loads or it doesn't and if you mess up you can always insert the system disc, press 'C' on start up and re-install the system.

Not so with the Sony it seems!!!

Several hours later we have a brick - no Vista working, no XP working, a window the size of a postage stamp and no means of installing anything anymore.

My first computing real disaster for which I cannot think of a way forward?

Any ideas?

Or is it back to the shop for a repair?

Thanks

SITW :ugh:

Saab Dastard
7th Feb 2008, 20:10
Boot off XP media.

Delete any and all existing partitions.

Create new partitions as required (I prefer to only create one before installing the OS, even if I will have more than one partition on the disk - it prevents Windows from screwing up the installation).

Install XP and then all the drivers, then install SP2 (if not already slipstreamed), then all the updates, then all your applications, then configure it all the way you want it...

SD

stagger
7th Feb 2008, 23:06
Boot off XP media.

Delete any and all existing partitions.

SD

Good idea - as long as you're not hoping to be able to recover any data from the hard drive (i.e. your files). Delete the partitions and you would lose everything.

Go ahead if there's nothing on there you need to recover.

Otherwise - you could plug the hardrive directly into another PC and might be able to copy your files off before wiping. A PC repair shop / help desk could do this easily but will probably charge an excessive fee.

S'land
7th Feb 2008, 23:12
I heard from a friend recently that he had tried to install XP onto a PC that had Vista on it. It seems that it was not possible - he had to wipe the hard drive (not sure how) and start right from the beginning.

SpannerInTheWerks
8th Feb 2008, 00:10
Thanks chaps for your timely responses.

I'll have a go in the morning and let you know how I go on!

KR

SITW :)

twiggs
8th Feb 2008, 03:48
If the Sony is still under warranty I would definitely take it back to the shop because it is possible that you have had a hard disk failure considering the "unable to find OS" message.

I would be inclined to check the integrity of the disk before going any further, using the UBCD or similar.

Tarq57
8th Feb 2008, 08:18
Agree with check hard drive, also check warranty.
If it came fairly new with Vista pre installed, chances are it is missing the required bits to run XP. Transplanting XP onto a OEM Vista machine is not that straightforward, but can be done.
Do a bit more research before attempting this.

SpannerInTheWerks
8th Feb 2008, 12:33
Hi again

Like a naughty child that realises further argument is futile, I turned the computer on this morning, inserted the XP CD and unbelievably it loaded as if nothing had happened!

XP working fine!!!

Contacted MS and activated my copy so all is well.

Trying to load Sky Broadband from the Sky CD now - not working!

Thank goodness for my MacBook Pro or I wouldn't be typing this Post.

Quick coffee then back to it!

KR

SpannerInTheWerks
8th Feb 2008, 20:18
In the end it was Plan B which worked!

F10 to restore factory settings - Vista

Sony website via MacBook Pro

Sony now offer DOWNgrade to Windows XP!

Download Sony .zip files - Utilities and Drivers to MacBook Pro

Re-install XP from CD - deleting partitions as suggested above, except recovery partition so I can restore factory settings in the future.

Transfer Sony downloaded files via flash drive to Sony Vaio.

Install files one by one onto Vaio, as described on the Sony website - reading info on MacBook Pro as I carried out the instructions on Vaio.

Activate Windows XP.

Install Sky broadband.

Install Microsoft Office.

HAPPY BUNNY!!!

Only took 7 hours in total.

Partner happy too with Sony Vaio now working and downloading via BitComet!

Thanks again for your help and if the above is of any use to anyone else then it's been a doubly useful exercise?!

KR

SITW :D

Basil
9th Feb 2008, 09:31
SpannerInTheWerks,

I'd looked at downgrading a VAIO to XP but, although Sony Support supply packages to carry out the installation, the end of their instructions states:

Important notes :
• DVD playback is not natively supported in Windows XP, so a separate program is needed in order to playback DVD movies. This software will not be supplied by Sony.
• Instant-on is not available for under Windows XP. This means that the AV button to play music, pictures or DVD’s from within a separate, non XP, environment is not possible.
• In Windows XP only CD burning is natively supported, for DVD burning a separate program is needed. This software will not be supplied by Sony.

SpannerInTheWerks
9th Feb 2008, 11:22
Basil

Thanks for that.

I agree, it would be a problem if we relied on the Vaio for CD/DVD facilities.

We tend to use our MacBook Pros for graphics and media and all our attendant software is Apple-based.

Shame the Vaio is not available to run Mac OS X! It's a great computer and so light in weight compared with the MacBook, whose main disadvantage is its weight (especially the 17" version).

KR

Keef
9th Feb 2008, 14:00
I play DVDs and record onto DVD with my XP Pro laptop and desktop.

Both have PowerDVD and DVDshrink. If those two weren't free, they were so cheap I didn't notice.

bnt
9th Feb 2008, 17:27
For DVD playback, if you don't have a full application, try the DScaler (http://www.dscaler.org/) codec for Windows Media Player - works great, no cost.