PDA

View Full Version : airline recruitment test

cessnasey
7th Feb 2008, 18:27
when applying for a engineering position with an airline, are you tested for colour vision?

i am hoping for a future as an aircraft angineer, and whilst the EASA do not have any restriction on colour blind applicants, im wondering if the airlines do. it wouldnt stop me obtaining a licence, but could it make finding work more difficult?

seyhan.

ericferret
7th Feb 2008, 19:48
I know of one candidate for an apprenticeship who was turned down for this reason.

However I have never been tested in 35 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

munster
7th Feb 2008, 19:52
colour blindness will not stop you from being a B1 or B2 engineer, however at some (likely most) airports you will be unable to hold an airside driving permit. This will not stop a career in aviation if you seek hangar based work. Good Luck.

woptb
8th Feb 2008, 00:21
TNT do a colour blindness test.

Mr.Brown
8th Feb 2008, 06:04
I have had a couple of jobs that had colour blindness tests and a couple that have not.
As mentioned by munster, there will probably be an issue with an airside driving permit....

A Bunker
8th Feb 2008, 07:01
To my knowledge, although EASA have no ristrictions, from my own experiance,other CAA authorities do test candidates prior the issue of a lic or approval.

cessnasey
8th Feb 2008, 18:07
If the EASA have no restrictions, how can an independant orginasation?

from what i understand, the cables are labeled, correct? also id like to for engines and mechanical engineer, colour deficient applicants should be treated as any other in this case.

i dont think people know what colour blind actualy means. pure discrimination in my opinion.

Mr.Brown
8th Feb 2008, 18:14
If the EASA have no restrictions, how can an independant orginasation?

AMC. Acceptable means of compliance.

spannersatcx
9th Feb 2008, 07:47
The only restriction we have is that if you are colour blind you are not allowed to carry out EGR's.

cessnasey
11th Feb 2008, 17:21
what is an EGR?

spannersatcx
12th Feb 2008, 11:26
Engine Ground Run, the reason being able to distinquish between a red and green warning/message/light.

itwilldoatrip
14th Feb 2008, 13:38
Surely for B2's it's the ability to read the pack of cards or the computer screen game's !!!!!!!!!!!!!

JSaeroengineer
14th Feb 2008, 18:23
"pack of cards or computer screen"

Or, of course, the colour of the cup of tea...

Hmmm, Golden Brown or murky brown?

shinobi1
15th Feb 2008, 22:02
A lad was dropped onto my mechanic apprenticeship from an avionic intake due to colour blindness. It wasn't picked up until he tried to read resistor codes.

Don't know what would have happened further down the line when he reached the workplace.:8

Shinobi

cessnasey
16th Feb 2008, 18:44
so he had no problem getting onto the mechanics? so im assuming that its best to avoid avionics?!

just wanna be sure that im not chasing this only to find everydoor closed due to colour blindness.

iv heard stories were pilot wannabes invest thousands then find they are colour blind therefore p*ssed the cash and the time up the wall...

just want to avoid a heartbreaking situation. however after a fair bit of research, it seems there is alot of hanger based work in aviation for a colour blind fellow:8