PDA

View Full Version : Prescription reactolite lenses

RobHemsley
7th Feb 2008, 17:00
Hi All, hope this is the appropriate forum for this - can a moderator please move if not?

I need to get some new prescription specs, I was going to buy a couple of pairs, 1 x plain pair for low light etc and 1 x reactolite for daytime flying.

I would expect the reactolites not to be so good for night time or poor light conditions, presumably a strobe at night may cause a major problem, similarly, reasonably bright cockpit lighting could cause a problem with external vision.

I suppose my questions are:
1. Does anybody have any experience/words of wisdom regarding reactolite lenses in a private or professional pilot capacity?
2. Would reactolite be approved by the CAA's medical wing?

As an aside, has anyone had successful laser surgery to correct astigmatism and still been able to pass a class 1 medical? (I hate wearing glasses) http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/infopop/icons/icon9.gif

Thanks in advance for any advice or feedback.

RobH

Wader2
8th Feb 2008, 10:01
You could do your own experiment with reactolite sunglasses.

Not too expensive but they don't go from full clear but have a low level of filter.

I used to have a pair and although I am not a pilot I still needed to look out as well as in. The problem I had was they would shut down with the bright light outside which made viewing of instruments etc difficult.

I found the reactolite were fine for car driving as your car instruments are few, closer, and easier to read. For aviation I chose bifocals instead.

I had the distant portion in a Cat 3 filter and the reading portion clear. Looks quite sexy on the ground and a good opening gambit in the bar :)

cats_five
8th Feb 2008, 10:39
Personally I would avoid all kinds of sight-correction surgery. I only have one pair of eyes, and although complications are not common they still occur and they include problems with low-light vision. I also hate wearing glasses but it's better than having my eyes damaged.

Wader2
8th Feb 2008, 11:33
Personally I would avoid all kinds of sight-correction surgery.

Ask any eye care professional. :}

Also my brother-in-law had his done. Apparently acid was put into his eyes. The surgeon apologised when he put too much into one eye :\ and BinL was in pain for some days. I think it was successful however.

I also don't lik ethe idea of correcting short sight in one eye only as the brain will adjust. Oh yeah, I have +1.75 glasses but really need +1.75/+2.0 (L and R) and I really notice in poor light that one eye goes out of focus.

Get good glasses with a good prescription but avoid the one for all approach. I don't think it is worth it.

BTW, I knew a pilot with tri-focals. He needed close in in the upper segement so he could read the roof mounted cockpit displays.

flyingman-of-kent
10th Feb 2008, 12:43
I have worn these types of glasses for years and years, and I can dispel a few myths.

Strobes do not affect them, they are far too slow to react to that speed of light change

In cars they mostly stay in their clear state as the UV (that triggers the darkening) is filtered by the window glass

In small planes with perspex windows they darken somewhat, but on a very sunny day you would probably wear sunglasses anyway. I often found myself putting a pair of polaroids on as well for glare suppression. But it certainly was no problem ever seeing any instrument or map reading etc

At night they go almost clear, and you will not have a problem with this, night flying is fine with them.

I cannot confirm either way what they would do in a cockpit, but I guess they would go semi dark. I am sure there must be many other pilots who wear these so would tell you

The speed that they react is actually quite slow, say 20 to 40 seconds, but you get used to this very quickly and it is rarely a problem. Perhaps when you go into a very dark pub from a bright sunny day you may find it a bit dark for a short period, but not enough to have to remove your glasses.

UV lights in night clubs/bars will cause them to darken, which can be amusing!

Apart from all this they are great and I wouldn't have anything else. Reactolite, photogray, transitions are all trade names for this type of lens

no sig
10th Feb 2008, 14:06
Although your use is for daylight condition, you might be interested in the following report issued by the Maritime Accident Investigation Branch investigation of the loss of the sail boat 'Ouzo'. In it they discuss the wearing of light reactive lens and their effective on vision in low light or night time conditions. The officer on watch of ferry involved was wearing them and it found, even in low light conditions, that they reduced light transfer by something like 20% which may have contributed to the late sighting of the yachts navigation lights.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources/Ouzo_.pdf (para. 2.5.3)

tigerbatics
11th Feb 2008, 09:22
I had lazer eye surgery to correct short sight & astigmatism 8 years ago. Best thing I've ever done. Not tried to get a Class 1 but not having to wear glasses for everyday purposes is wonderful. Still use them for flying though.

RobHemsley
11th Feb 2008, 10:24
Thanks for the replies, very interesting.

Think I'll go with plain lenses for every day and a 'fixed' tint on sunglasses. I'd love to have my eyes lasered but I don't want to take a chance...

Cheers

RobH