PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes 2

fred737
7th Feb 2008, 07:21
I am considering upgrading my FAA CPL issued on the basis of my CAA ATPL to a stand alone FAA CPL. To do that I will need an FAA medical. As I do not plan to fly for hire and reward I anticipate only going for a FAA Class Two or Three medical.

I suffer from Type 2 Diabetes which I manage to keep under control and I am issued with a Class Two CAA medical. Knowing my condition is there any reason why I could not have an FAA medical certificate?

niknak
7th Feb 2008, 13:15
I don't know what the FAA stance on diabetes is, but I also have type 2 (diet controlled) and hold a CAA class One medical.
The only thing you may encounter is the World Health Organisation recommendation that anyone over the age of 40 with type two, should be prescribed blood pressure medication and cholesterol stabilisation tablets.
That really depends on what you G.P or diabetic nurse says.

I am prescribed them both at the minimum levels, even though there is no other medical reason for me to take them, and as an ATCO I had to take two weeks off to ensure their were no side effects from the blood pressure tablets.

I understand that there are implications for pilots regarding the taking of blood pressure tablets, so I suggest you check with your locally approved FAA AME (most CAA examiners are also FAA approved).