PDA

View Full Version : flash player problems

furstyferret
6th Feb 2008, 22:48
Can anyone help
I have been using flash player 9 for a few weeks whithout any problems but two days ago it stoped, every time i use a site that requires flash i get a message telling me i need to download it even though it is on my pc. today i tried to uninstall it with a view to re-install, but my pc will not allow it. i have windows vista
ps as im writing this on my laptop which has no problem
if anyone could give me any pointers as what to do i would be very gratefull.
regards
fursty

Bushfiva
7th Feb 2008, 00:36
Adobe has a standalone uninstaller which you can grab from the website. http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157 (http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157) takes you to the technote.

BigEndBob
8th Feb 2008, 06:41
I have same problem, BBC iPlayer says i need flash player to work, but works ok for other applications, Youtube,etc.

BigEndBob
8th Feb 2008, 06:45
Just tried it, brilliant, BBC iPlayer now working.
Thanks Bushfiva.

batninth
8th Feb 2008, 18:51
This happened to me recently. Looking around I found that on XP if you upgrade to the latest version of Flash Player 9, then the old flash.ocx file hidden away (in Windows\system32\macromed if my memory is correct) gets wiped out & a new file flash9e.ocx (or falsh9.ocx - either way it's a new name) replaces it - a sort of e-cuckoo.

When I copied the new file to "flash.ocx" in the same folder everything came back to life.

BigEndBob
8th Feb 2008, 20:55
Typed too soon.
Now the flasher player wants to upgrade with 'Flash9e.ocx' causing the explorer to crash and computer to 'Blue screen'.
Tried installing Flash Player 8, but iPlayer wants to upgrade to 9.

Seems like 9e is some sort of bug that Adobe ain't bothered about rectifying!

batninth
9th Feb 2008, 14:52
Hmmm...you sure it's Flash that's causing the problem & not iPlayer. Well written software for Flash should find the new Flash Player, and not so well written will try to find the old flash.ocx but should nicely complain.

If Explorer is crashing & your PC blue screens then:

Once probably means that the various install/uninstall cycles have made a temporary mess, but a reboot should have cleared it
More than once indicates something more serious
Was it a one off?