PDA

View Full Version : Nausea / Airsickness

Chuck-Yeager
6th Feb 2008, 18:36
I recently start feeling really nausea when I'm out flying.
I started real sudden, I dont know why.
I recently changed job, and new aircraft, we do a lot of mauovers, and now, I cant really fly for that long until becoming real airsick, feel like "throwing up".

I also got just when I got the new job, tinnitus/ringing right ear, just slightly, can this be a part of the problem?

Any suggestion on this topic?

:uhoh:

Wader2
7th Feb 2008, 12:03
I recently start feeling really nausea when I'm out flying.
I started real sudden, I dont know why.
I recently changed job, and new aircraft, we do a lot of mauovers, and now, I cant really fly for that long until becoming real airsick, feel like "throwing up".

I also got just when I got the new job, tinnitus/ringing right ear, just slightly, can this be a part of the problem?

Any suggestion on this topic?

:uhoh:

As is often usual your post leaves out all the obvious information:

What did you fly? What do you fly? Did you do manoeuvre flying before? How long before you are airsick? How long did you fly before without being airsick?

Yes, your tinnitus (?) or inner ear infection may be affecting your balance organs which may, in turn, make you nauseous.

Shortcut advice - see a doctor experienced in aviation and ENT and tell him what you didn't tell us.

Chuck-Yeager
8th Feb 2008, 18:50
Well, I visited the doctor the other day.
He could not find anything wrong, also did a hearing test, with good hearing on both ears.

I aslo find It quite strange that airsickness, just kick in like this, with over 4 years in the aviation business, 1600 hours and now, I get airsick...

Do experience on, if you can get used to airsickness, i mean, will it go over with time... I sure hope so..

Any help on this, would be greatly appreciated..

Baron Von Mildred
11th Feb 2008, 11:09
Did you have a gap betwwen jobs etc.... If so, just keep flying and it should go away. Its possible to learn to fly and not realize there is an issue because the early flights were in still air, and by the time you flew in rougher air you had already developed your 'air legs'.

Chuck-Yeager
11th Feb 2008, 11:20
Well, the pause/break between the two jobs, was around 2 months time, but I wonder there might be a correlation between my newly developed, small, but irritatitng tinnitus and my airsickness. Even the doc. said the could not see anything wrong.

I found it real strange myself, just to become airsick, just like that, I been in the industry for more than 4 years now.

Is there a link between tinnitus and airsickness?
And, do eventually tinnitus go away with time, I was unlucky with a hunting grouse trip, with shotgun. 1 shot was all i shot.

Strangly been talking to several pilots about hunting, they have hunted for years without earprotection and no tinnitus what so ever.

Thanks

Baron Von Mildred
11th Feb 2008, 15:30
CY
I'm not an aeromedical expert, so am only talking from my own experience of air sickness. Factors I know can influence are tiredness, flying aircraft with poor directional stability/dutch roll, stress (new aircraft=steep learning curve?).

Maybe any doctors reading this could comment on any link between tinitus & balance, or try googling it....

Pontius Navigator
12th Feb 2008, 08:15
Factors I know can influence are . . . flying aircraft with poor directional stability/dutch roll, stress (new aircraft=steep learning curve?).

Chuck has missed that question posed by Wader. If he said he went from Cessna XXX a known stable platform to a XXXXX XXXXX known to fly like a pig then those that know these types could comment.

As for time off between flights, 2 months might seem short to many but we had one or two people who were chronically ill for one or two flights after a layoff as short as 2 weeks.

Head down, eyes in, mouth shut and they pulled through.:}

gingernut
12th Feb 2008, 21:07
The nausea is most likely connected to the ears symptoms.

Difficult to give specific advice without a full history/examination, but in my experience, the problem is self limiting. (Gets better on it's own).

Get checked out, the least you deserve is a diagnosis.:)

(Must say, 60 degree turns in a 172 always left me queasy)

Chuck-Yeager
14th Feb 2008, 21:17
Any experience on tinnitus healing itself with time?
I am fairly young, lot of time to heal, or is just something I need to learn to live with, not really to annoying, just at bedtime, but still annoying...

RollNow!
14th Feb 2008, 22:23
When i did my first ever light A/C flight i was airsick in the last part of the flight (just before starting finals) Think it was the decent that "pushed it".

I was a hell of a lot younger though, was rather nervous it was bloody hot up there as well. I put it down to being slightly overwhelmed by it all in my teens. Hasnt happened to me since. Most recently in a choppy approach in a 145 really really bumpy brought back a few memories but i was fine.

Your inner ear is most likley (as stated before) 50% of the problem at least. Im no AME but have you recently had an ear infection? A member of my family felt sick walking round the house let alone flying with a bad infection since your inner ear controls you overall balance.

The reason i say 50% is because this it bound to worry you and be in the back of your mind whether you have a million hours or just a few like me. Some of it will be in your head too. I do hope you sort it out though mate its never nice to feel dogey in an A/C especially when you really enjoy it up there. :ok:

Pontius Navigator
18th Feb 2008, 20:27
Tinnitus is a life long condition. It will get worse. enjoy :(

Chuck-Yeager
20th Feb 2008, 10:22
Well, I've read that "Tinnitus and ear-related vertigo are caused by damage to different structures within the inner ear..."

So my consern about tinnitus causing my airsickness, is probably wrong, at least what I hope!

I guess I only need to learn to live with it, not a real problem, until it get real quitet, but It's never quiet in those turboprops anyways!

:}