PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth contracting?

POKEYPILOT
6th Feb 2008, 15:35
Hi All,

New to the site so firstly hello!!

Currently F/O on 73s was thinking about going contracting anyone got any thoughts on pay, benefits etc or is it worth sitting tight?

oskar
6th Feb 2008, 15:44
Hi there,
This is just my opinion, if you have a permanent job at the moment stay in it for another while, a few of the contract companies will tell you that your going to get a great salary and great career prospects. They also offer 1 year rolling contract but do not commit to this either and then when you say your leaving they offer you some golden nuggets(command), which you cant possibly get for another 2 years cause you havnt got enough experience. This is not all contract companies, an excellent company is parc aviation and ive heard good things about pas. Be carefull with whatever your offered, do what suits you, Hope it all works out

POKEYPILOT
6th Feb 2008, 15:59
Thanks for that.

Seem to hear alot about better money and conditions so as money makes the world go round thought I was missing a trick?

Out of interest what is the contract money like for a F/O on 73?

oskar
6th Feb 2008, 16:13
money depends as a contract fo depending on what country your in, if your going to contract in italy, spain, portugal you are looking aroung 5000 euro per month and if in the uk you can make from 3500 to 4000 pounds per month, dont forget you will have to set up your tax with a limited company and you can claim back on meal allowance, petrol and expenses, but after it all you are sometimes better staying paye, getting a pension and little perks if you can and more stability, Dont forget that when airlines have problems the contractors are usualy the first to go and the money you have made you could be very quickly diving into because you have been let go. I suppose it depends on your present employer, is it low fare or a major carrier and could you afford to pay the bills if you were let go as a contractor. Be very careful cause as I said before some of these contract companies promise the world, you will get your salary but do not get carried away with the rest of there promises.