PDA

View Full Version : At Least The Boss Cares

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
6th Feb 2008, 10:10
Lifted directly from Truth Central's news page;

Queen detonates bomb at RAF base
05/02/2008

Honouring a commitment to a dying RAF officer, the Queen visited her first bombing range, at RAF Holbeach, yesterday, Monday 4 February 2008, and while there she detonated a dummy bomb

The Queen travelled by helicopter to the RAF Holbeach Bombing Range in Lincolnshire, where she viewed a Tornado GR4 bombing demonstration before meeting station personnel in the headquarters building. She then witnessed a Bomb Disposal Demonstration and remotely detonated one of the unexploded dummy bombs dropped during the demonstration, herself.

Squadron Leader John Beard, the recent Officer Commanding RAF Holbeach, had been ill with cancer for many years, and unbeknown to him, or anyone else, his Personal Assistant, Ann Beba, invited the Queen to visit.

To her great surprise the Queen accepted the invitation, lifting Squadron Leader Beards' spirits and raising everyone's morale. Sadly Sqn Ldr Beard died just two weeks after receiving the confirmation of The Queen's visit, but the Queen honoured her commitment and yesterday met his widow and children.

Sqn Ldr Beard died in December 2007 at the age of 62. His wife Jean said he had a great affection for the base and had continued to work there until last September. She added:

"We were really touched that The Queen should visit. She mentioned that they hear it (the bombing range) at Sandringham and that the dogs don't like it. John would have been very proud. This would have been the high point of his career."

Earlier in the day, Her Majesty visited RAF Marham in Norfolk where she is the Honorary Air Commodore. She donned shaded glasses to watch a mock airfield attack display, with pyrotechnic effects, by Tornado GR4 jets, swooping in to attack "enemy" tanks.

There was also a diamond formation fly past by the Tornados and Her Majesty met personnel recently returned from operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

During the almost four hour visit to Marham Her Majesty inspected a Deployed Operational Base HQ and visited the Depth Hanger to view the refurbishment operations of the Tornado aircraft and met some of the engineers and technicians working within the Depth Support Wing.

The Queen had lunch with the officers and men of the base before visiting the Chaplaincy Centre where she met with welfare support personnel before unveiling a plaque dedicated to all who served with the Canberra aircraft in 39 Squadron, during its 55 years of service with the RAF. The Squadron disbanded last year.

The Queen talked to Squadron Leader David Richards from IX (Bomber) Squadron, at RAF Marham, who returned from Iraq shortly before Christmas. He said:

"I think she is completely knowledgeable. She spends a short time on a visit, but always looks with interest and she knows a lot more than I think people realise."

Squadron Leader Nathan Giles, from XIII Squadron,also met The Queen and said:

"It's said the public sometimes don't appreciate what the armed forces do, but she does. She does everything to try to respect what you do and I think it's a great morale booster for the service."

RAF Marham's Station commander, Group Captain Phil Osborn, who accompanied The Queen on her visit said:

"She gives us great continuity. She has been our Honorary Air Commodore for a long time and we give her a snapshot of what RAF Marham has done every two years.

"I think she was really pleased to be that close to what we are doing. It was giving her the opportunity to see what our aircrews are doing in Afghanistan and Iraq."

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/Golf_Bravo_Zulu/detonator.jpg

Shrikes! did I do that?

Jackonicko
6th Feb 2008, 10:12
Thinks: "Would one of those under Mr Brown's chair during the weekly audience cause too much damage to the furnishings?"

colonel cluster
6th Feb 2008, 10:14
I'll bet she was wishing Gordon 'tha Broon' was sitting on top of that little pile (I hope so anyway!)

God bless you, Ma'am! If only the politicans cared for us like you do!

diginagain
6th Feb 2008, 10:14
Shrikes! did I do that?

:D

Wonder what she's really thinking?

"Desolve Parliament my arrse"

goudie
6th Feb 2008, 11:15
And in spite of what the cynics say her interest and concern is 100% genuine.

D-IFF_ident
6th Feb 2008, 11:24
Outstanding. Hats off to you, your Majesty, and a touching thought with respect to Sqn Ldr Beard as well.

Highly paid servants of the Queen could learn a lot from their Commander-in-Chief.

jindabyne
6th Feb 2008, 11:43
Please see the Thread titled Sqn Ldr John Beard

Flypro
6th Feb 2008, 14:04
I can feel a Caption Competition coming on :E

c-bert
6th Feb 2008, 15:01
"...You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

I'll get me coat. :E

themightyimp
7th Feb 2008, 23:03
If only the Government (note not using 'our' Government) had either one iota of the dignity or integrity of HM then I would feel proud to serve this country rather than counting down the days...............................