PDA

View Full Version : Career Forecast in The Corporate World

Bearing 123
6th Feb 2008, 09:22
Hello to all,

I am curious as to the other opinions on here with regard to this economic downturn thats been forecast.
I work both contract and freelance and was wondering is recruitment still as positive in the Corporate sector as say it was 12 months ago? One company I have connections with, say that even though they are slightly under crewed at the moment, they have put a freeze on recruitment, due to the slight uncertainty in the financial market.

Biz Jets have always been a completely seperate entity to the airlines and very hard to judge either way. So just wondering what your thoughts are.

Cheers

Bearing

JB007
6th Feb 2008, 09:47
I don't work in GA, but a relative of mine runs an aircraft register that is booming! I heard the only way to get a new Biz Jet now is hope for a cancellation...or wait 4 years...someone's gotta fly 'em!!!!

Bearing 123
6th Feb 2008, 10:07
It certainly seems that way as far as orders for new aircraft go and the waiting list at the moment for type ratings on some aircraft is ridiculous.

I was just curious as a good friend of mine works in the city with one of the bigger banks. He over the last few years has booked charters fairly frequently, but will not be doing so this year due to a so called massive cut in foreseeable city bonuses.

Is it possible that some companies overestimated the good times and will end up with aircraft that they now have no need for?

JB007
6th Feb 2008, 10:12
Certainly may be the case for public transport aircraft/operators. The aircraft registration I was referring to is private cat. only, and you only have to try and get through security at LGW South Terminal to see why this is booming...

G-SPOTs Lost
6th Feb 2008, 17:27
Two categories:

Public Transport & Corporate

If you were the last one in at say one of the bigger charter operators then I would have a slight sense of uneasiness - nothing major

Corporate operators have always been able to ride the storm to a greater extent - are we going to sellthe jet because we are making 3 million a week instead of 4??

Experienced guys with type rating are still in short supply.

Even if half the bizjet orders get cancelled they would still be sold out for 2 years. Many orders are Russia & Far East though

JB - personally operate on said register, your relative is doing a sterling job -its a gale force breath of fresh air :ok:, imagine ringing CAA Gatwick for an chat and being given the Directors Mobile Number !

His dudeness
6th Feb 2008, 18:03
"Is it possible that some companies overestimated the good times and will end up with aircraft that they now have no need for?"

Traditionally the Aircraft was the first thing to go - but personally I think this time it will be different. Globalization may mean that they´ll keep the airplane.

Depends how bad it will be.

JB007
6th Feb 2008, 20:48
G-SPOTs,

That's very kind and i'll pass it on! No Red Tape/150% improvement in customer service over any other Aviation Authority and it's working grand!!!

Paradise Lost
7th Feb 2008, 16:42
No doubt that GA will survive when the alternative option is to fly commercially.....an ever worsening nightmare. That's probably why NJE are doing so well because once the SLF have tried the charter solution, they REALLY don't want to go back to the airlines again.

blue monday
7th Feb 2008, 17:53
I really do hope that the economic slowdown does not effect private charter sector as i'm on the verge of getting back into aviation with a new flight ops role with a company who are expanding in this currently booming sector.

I personally think this sector will carry on growing due to the globalisation of commerce in today's world, as time means money.

RAFAT
7th Feb 2008, 18:31
I tend to agree with the general point made by Paradise Lost, although the success of the sector has been driven by strong economic growth, the ever-increasing security nightmares associated with using commercial airlines and airports must also be a factor. Time is money (and lots of it!) to many top Execs, and wasting time negotiating the minefield of wildly varying security procedures is a justification for using the Corporate alternative, and I'm sure that will sustain the sector for some time to come.

Bearing 123
8th Feb 2008, 09:16
My thoughts are the same as it is indeed an industry not driven by the 2.5 kids and a mortgage scenario.
The people I work with, are definitely not worried about the cost, but they are concerned about security, time and the fact that it does give an element of eliteness. (Is that a word?)

One example: In Nice taxying out, Attitude Indicator P1 side winds down. Thankfully spotted just before lining up. I call no go and taxi back to stand. Boss really understands situation but has a big meeting in London. We make a mad dash to handling agents who manage to get him on an Easyjet flight to Luton leaving within the hour.
He still missed his meeting due to a bag being misplaced and a big delay in the baggage coming through at Luton. He was furious, thankfully not with us, but it goes to show you that to these people time is money and the cost of a private aircraft is more than worth it. (who knows what was riding on that meeting)
So much so, that as the aircraft we were flying was quiet old, he immediately instructed a replacement be found that in his opinion was more reliable. He also runs his business from the city and has his finger on the pulse as far as the economy is concerned. I guess you ask ten people, you get ten different opinions.

So to sum up, I'm really hopeful that although the airlines may suffer, the top end of the market i.e. corporate flying, will not only survive, but thrive over the next few years.:ok:

Doodlebug
8th Feb 2008, 09:47
Hello Bearing

We have a quite a number of new faces around at our mob, most of them have been taken aboard to drive the larger equipment. It seems that the bigger kit is becoming more and more widespread, and the folks that buy at this level are far more likely to be financially so secure that the current insecurity in the corporate world does not perturb them much, than, say, the guy who occasionally charters a small Citation. Therefore it would appear that the long-term stability in our line of business is assured, more so than ever before.

Regards,

Bug