PDA

View Full Version : Procurement in a mess? Never!

Roadster280
6th Feb 2008, 01:52
In an idle moment, I came across the following gem of a website:

http://www.ams.mod.uk/default.htm (no, it isn't about the Army Medical Services)!!!

Amongst the gems in there:

The User is the ultimate customer for all Defence Acquisition business.

The function of the User includes:
• The overall leadership, provision of strategic management and professional direction of each Service.
• Influencing policy, force-development and future equipment capability.
• Force-development and future equipment capability.
• The generation of Force Elements at Readiness (FE@R) and Force Elements at Sustainment (FE@S) to deliver effect.

I'd have thought the last one ought to be at the top!

While reading further, I came across another miracle of priority setting:

The purpose of R&D is to support:
• Robust evidence-based policy decisions.
• A through-life approach to acquisition across all Defence Lines of Development (DLoDs).
• Upgrade and adaptation by technology insertion and eventual disposal.
• Military operations in theatre.

bwfg3
6th Feb 2008, 04:21
ahh.. dont you just love "birtspeak"? Someone paid a consultant 00000's to come up with buzzwords that mean f.all. A lot of that sounds like a brief I once had from a senior officer about options for change, or one of the cutback schemes.. it was definately in English, but the audience didn't understand a word of it.:ugh:

Pontius Navigator
6th Feb 2008, 07:03
One problem with the leadership, or more accurately the staff officers who will deliver the work, their posts are gapped or they are OOA.

It also brings to mind:

When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficulty to remember the task was to drain the swamp

Jackonicko
6th Feb 2008, 10:02
But it does explain the focus on 'fighting the crocodile nearest the canoe', while ignoring or failing to see the great big 'f*** off' crocodile that's a bit further away but that is intending to eat you, canoe and all.

Mr-AEO
6th Feb 2008, 10:55
AMS will be a dead dodo soon. The AOF has a more up to date look, although I couldn't find the literal translation of what you quoted.

http://www.aof.dii.r.mil.uk/aofcontent/operational/people/peoplepriorities.htm

These are the Defence Values for Acquisition (DVfA) against which all staff will be reported.:)