PDA

View Full Version : RR Tyne Turboprop Questions

jh5speed
5th Feb 2008, 19:47
The Tyne appears to be unique in being a 2-spool, shared (fixed) power turbine type, and I’m after some info on the way this engine is/was operated.

Normally – for a single spool or single/multi-spool + free-power turbine engine - I understand that the Power Lever controls torque, and the Condition/Prop Lever (if present) would set the propeller speed (and also perform other functions such as feather and fuel shutoff)
Now, I gather that the Tyne is slightly different as the Power Lever primarily sets the prop speed but also dictates fuel (i.e. torque) via an interconnect characteristic – this being needed to get an acceptable LPC working line for a given LPC/prop speed. The Condition Lever is used to modify the interconnect characteristic (e.g. reduce fuel at a speed) which has the effect of fining pitch.

Tyne drivers please:

a) have I got this right?
b) what are the quadrant detents?
c) what is the normal speed range?
d) what defines end of beta range,? flight-idle detent?

Any other snippets of info very welcome.

Thanks.

BSD
6th Feb 2008, 07:04
Too long ago for me to speak with authority on the RR Tyne 515 mk. !2 fittted to the CL44 that I knew and loved so much!

I still have a '44 tech manual somewhere in the loft at home, and will be back in a day or two. If no replies to your questions by then I'll try to answer them from home.

You might try to post this on the freight dogs forum, there is a CL44 thread that runs there, frequented I believe by some of the stalwarts who are trying to ressurrect the CL44-O Skymonster (Guppy) whose engines are run regularly.

My not-to-be-trusted memory would have it that the condition lever had positions such as, feather and fire-ex armed, fuel off, low ground idle, high ground idle. From high ground idle it entered the trim range, with a range of I think 50 click stops.

Low and high ground idle were used to start the beast. Low, restricted the fuel flow on start-up, as the Tyne's prodigious demand for air could not be met by it's accelaeration characteristics. Once running in low ground idle, the engine could be slowly accelerated up to high ground idle, which was the normal idle running stting.

After setting full power for the take-off, the pilot's next call was for "88.3%" This was achieved by the F/E pulling the throttles back. Thereafter, he controlled the power through the condition lever, setting the fuel flow.

On the landing approach, you needed 2 hands to fly the Edsel, the power being set by the F/E in response to your request for a given torque setting (400 lbs at MLW rings a bell )

After landing, reverse thrust was achieved by pulling the throttles to the back of their quadrant, and rainsing them over a hump, pulling them further back to accelerate them in reverse. A reassuring call of "4lights" from the F/E indicated the props were in the right plce.

The engine was extraordinary, quite small in size consideriing it's output. The prop though was another matter. That was one real complex device.

Hope this helps,

BSD.

Double Hydco
6th Feb 2008, 19:27
I was lucky enough to fly the Belfast, attached to the RR tyne, during the 90's.

Take off power was set by the FE, and expressed as a percentage (95% for take off, reduced to 88% after clean up rings a bell)

We used water meth for some limiting takeoff's, and was selected off in pairs, once the aircraft had cleaned up.

Again, during approach and landing power was set by the FE, based upon commands for torque from the PF (a bit like a voice activated autothrottle). This was my first flying job, and as a young FO, experienced FE's would often give you "the power you needed, not what you asked for".

I seem to remember landing on shorter runways, like Southend, and the outboards being set to ground idle over the hedge to ensure a positive touchdown!

Reverse was set by lifting triggers on the front of the power levers....

DH

tristar 500
7th Feb 2008, 15:02
jh5speed asked,
Now, I gather that the Tyne is slightly different as the Power Lever primarily sets the prop speed but also dictates fuel (i.e. torque) via an interconnect characteristic – this being needed to get an acceptable LPC working line for a given LPC/prop speed. The Condition Lever is used to modify the interconnect characteristic (e.g. reduce fuel at a speed) which has the effect of fining pitch.

Tyne drivers please:

a) have I got this right?
b) what are the quadrant detents?
c) what is the normal speed range?
d) what defines end of beta range,? flight-idle detent?

On the Vanguard there is only one powerlever/throttle which controls the fuel flow & prop pitch angle. There is a detent at ground fine & a drop down flap which baulks the throttle lever at flight fine. The flap drops down when all four levers are moved past the beta range. This is the point at which the fuel starts to increase to compensate for the coarsening (?) prop pitch, up to this point although the engine is a constant speed it will actually slow down as the prop moves.

As for RPM I cannot remember off the top of my head,. You could go to Brooklands and see G-APEP the only complete Vanguard in the world or look at www.vickers-vanguard-merchantman.com (http://www.vickers-vanguard-merchantman.com)

Tristar 500

pjvr99
7th Feb 2008, 16:29
RR Tyne 22's are also fitted to the Transall C160, with Ratier Figeac props. I didn't work on them directly, but do remember only 1 throttle lever controlling prop pitch and engine rpm. Maybe there are some ex-C160 types out there to give some info ....

BSD
8th Feb 2008, 08:02
JH5speed,

Back from a few days at work. Found my old tech notes from the 44. Some of the stuff would answer your questions precisely.

Probable best plan: if you'd like it let me know via a pm, and we'll work out a way to transfer it.

BSD.