PDA

View Full Version : Former 617 Sqn Adjutant passes away

brokenlink
5th Feb 2008, 18:52
Obituary in yesterdays Eastern Daily Press of Mr Harry Humphries, former Adjutant of 617 Sqn during the Dams Raid of May 1943. He continued to take an interest in the squadron, hope someone from the unit is able to make the funeral.

RIP Sir.

airborne_artist
5th Feb 2008, 19:08
hope someone from the unit is able to make the funeral

I hope he get a proper send-off, family wishes taken into account.

Double Zero
6th Feb 2008, 20:53
I sadly did not know Mr. Humphries; however as an example of his type which will surprise no-one here, there was an engineer at Dunsfold, Ray Grayston ( still with us I very much hope ).

I first met Ray when trailing around the golf course at Dunsfold as a boy - both he and my dad were keen golfers.

I had the honour of being hit ( hard ) by Ray's club when I blundered into his swing, which may explain a lot about me !

I then worked at the same place for 14 years with him; it was only after I left that I discovered he was a Flt Engineer on the Dams raid ( also a member of the Caterpillar Club from a later sortie ) - he never mentioned it.

The only thing I will ever have in common with people of such calibre is we both managed to crash MGBGT's within a few miles of each other !

Thankyou, and condolences to family & friends.