PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair CAE, Amsterdam

veeOne99
5th Feb 2008, 16:55
I have a couple of questions relating to the TR course at CAE Amsterdam. If anyone who has attended this course can help it would be really appreciated.

1. Can you suggest some self catering accommodation near the CAE training complex?
2. Is it beneficial taking a car with you?
3. Are there parking facilities at CAE?
4. How did you find the workload? Did you have time to come home (UK) at all during the course?
5. Can anyone who has been through the course suggest any hints / tips for successful completion? Would you do anything different second time round?

Thanks in advance

EGAC_Ramper
5th Feb 2008, 23:57
Certainly...

1. I stayed in a B+B so do not know of any local self catering, tho some guys from my course did rent small houses for the stay.

2.Certainly a car is a lot of help. The transport links are good and buses are cheap however I found after hard days graft waiting for buses etc when your tired and need to study very unpleasant :)

3.There is indeed parking at CAE Centre

4.We had a Chrimbo break to break things up abit. You may be able to squeeze 2 days away but its pretty much all go.

5.Straight away get into the cardboard bomber and practice with your sim partner SOP callouts and drills etc. Especially if he/she is not fluent in spoken English/not first language.

Regards

JetSetJ
15th Feb 2008, 08:18
Hi,

Any others know of some reasonably priced accommodation near the CAE Amsterdam complex??

JJ:ok:

veeOne99
16th Feb 2008, 13:03
I'm UK based and starting the RYR type rating course beginning of April at CAE.

From experience of people who have been through the course can you tell me the following

What is the most cost effective way of transferring the money to CAE? Did you use your existing bank [mine doesn't offer great exchange rates] or did you find an alternative method?

Thanks

BongleBear
18th Feb 2008, 15:33
1. I stayed at the novotel for the first week, then rented a house with two other guys from the course. If you make friends staying at a a hotel or b&b suggest you all get a house together. Much cheaper and more space to study together. You can get info on b&b/hotel/houses to rent locally though CAE, they're good at that sort of stuff
2. Yes, take a car. I did and you're much better off having one there
3. Yes, you can park in the complex. Used to be a club opposite with plenty of parking aswell, but I think it closed down after a stabbing... not really that sort of place, but it happens I suppose!
4. I found the workload simliar to that of the ATPL groundschool. Very intensive at times, but there are periods where you can have a breather. I wouldn't say you could get home though- groundschool doesn't offer you that luxury and it wouldn't be fair on sim partner if you get off. Not really advisable, but I was there in 2006, when it wasn't too busy. Might be backed up now so you'll get a bit of time off
5. I'd echo the other thoughts. Ryanair are so keen on SOP's so hit the paper bomber asap. Drag your sim partner in there for as long as possible, run through checks etc.. it allows you more time in the sim actually flying. Get that flight deck prep down to 20mins before your first full motion sim and ask lots of questions if in doubt!

Any other questions give me a PM and I'll do my best to answer

Good luck and enjoy it, it's a great place and after your course try to unwind for a few days in Amsterdam.

B Bear