PDA

View Full Version : Departure times

Flapping_Madly
4th Feb 2008, 21:08
Shortly my wife and I are going to New Zealand via Hong Kong.

With very little to watch on the TV I check on Heathrow Webtrak every night to see when our flight takes off.

Last week or so they have been off the ground around 30 minutes late.

A couple of months ago they were usually between 45 and 120 minutes late. So things can only get better and seem to be doing so.

Am I right in thinking that in a 12 hour flight you can make up a lot of time.

But does it waste fuel? Why would an aircraft depart so late literally every night? Someone slow making the sandwiches? Or are they being courteous and letting others go first ?

Just curious:) But we will be eating pretty darn late !!

WHBM
4th Feb 2008, 21:32
The time in the published schedule is the time that pushback should happen at the gate.

What you see on Webtrak is actual in-the-air times from when they lift off (aka "wheels up"). Even for an on time operation this can be up to 30 minutes after leaving the gate, dependent on taxi route and runway in use, and with nothing more than the usual waiting at the hold. For a 747 off T3 these look like normal times.

beamender99
4th Feb 2008, 22:37
May I suggest some answers are in the following.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/flightinfo/eng/chkfltarr.html

http://www.auckland-airport.co.nz/flight_info.php?leg=A&range=I

PAXboy
5th Feb 2008, 00:49
All carriers now state a departure time that is actually 'Be At The Gate Time'. In order to get people to the gate on time, the advertised departure time is separate and in advance of planned Push Back Time (leaving the gate) and Rotation Time (wheels off the ground).

For example. On a UK domestic trip that I take several times a year, the sector is listed as taking one hour. The wheels-to-wheels time is 45 minutes. Along with a short taxi time at two small airports, they get themselves some lee way time.

All airlines do this to ensure that their punctuality reports for PR purposes look good. So, be at the airport early, be at the gate on time and you will arrive on time. Unless other pax are late, the airport (and transit airports) do not have operational problems etcetera!

Shack37
5th Feb 2008, 01:05
I did that same flight about a month ago. We departed a bit late and arrived late in HK by the same amount. The second leg took quite a bit longer than advertised due to strong headwinds.
If it's Air NZ watch out for the generous FA who may let you have the entire tray of drinks...........on your lap. Other than that minor incident the flight was enjoyable,albeit long, CC all friendly and pleasant.
Have a good trip
s37