PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Medical Help!!!

Captain Vek
4th Feb 2008, 16:47
i have my initial class 1 medical coming up just wanted to know if smoking cigarettes could be a cuse for concern?

Shunter
4th Feb 2008, 18:22
Only problem smoking is likely to cause is during the lung function test.

I smoke, but I'm also quite active and swim a lot. I passed the lung function test apparently 30% better than average for my age, so go figure...

gingernut
4th Feb 2008, 19:51
No, it's unlikely, unless you've got some demonstrable damage due to the smoking.

Unlikely in a young candidate.

Shunter, without wishing to get into the "holier than thou" or "there's no evidence smoking really kills you" debate, I suspect you're probably getting away with things 'cos of your age.

In my experience,one of five things usually happen to smokers:

Nothing- Aunt Flo smoked all her life, lived till 108 (sometimes but rare-ish)

Some rare 'orrible cancer consumes you in your middle age (rare-ish)

You die of heart disease younger than you should (sometimes)

You live a normal life, blowing 30% more into the peak flow machine, then you suddenly start dropping off the curve quickly in the your mid fifties- Vera Duckworth type illness. (Common)

You get run over by a bus (rare)

Good health :)

Captain Vek
5th Feb 2008, 16:09
Thanks guys for the replies! only asked coz i gave up smokin for NY and just had a thought of concern in the bak of my mind!

Shunter
5th Feb 2008, 17:57
gingernut, it would be stupid to say otherwise. Obviously it's something that I personally need to address, but in the context of this question I was trying (perhaps badly) to say that smoking per se is not a problem, although its long-term potential reprocussions obviously are.

gingernut
5th Feb 2008, 19:49
Thanks, I'm not making any judgements.

In fact, I think when I took my initial medical I was still on the tabs.

And boy oh boy, do I sometimes miss 'em:)

(Cigarettes, not medicals).