PDA

View Full Version : BA Strike

MR7958
4th Feb 2008, 12:26
Leaving to one side the rights or wrongs of the proposed BA strike action, I cannot find any thread on this site which deals with the possible practical impact of the strike on passengers.

My self-interest is that I'm booked to fly with BA LHR - LAX on 23 February 2008 and then SFO - LHR on 7 March, and was wondering if either of these flights could be affected. From what I read it seems the risk of me being stuck in California is greater than the risk of me never leaving London.

More generally, does anyone have an (informed) view about whether the strike action would totally stop BA flights, or whether a strike would result in just a reduced service? Are, for instance, most BA pilots members of BALPA?

alfamatt
4th Feb 2008, 17:22
BA pilots enjoy a great deal of solidarity. In my opinion, it may well be due to the fact that they are level headed, & in general intelligent people, who see "the big picture", wanting to work for a company with continued long term success, but are not willing to sell themselves too short to accomplish this. And good for them.
No, I'm not tech crew for BA. I'm cabin crew for BA.
Will the strike happen? Who knows. The issue is at the very heart of their way of life, seniority/scheduling etc, & so they are unlikely to capitulate. A compromise is not easy to achieve. But they will work hard to talk & listen to proposals, of that I'm sure. Most threatened strikes involve brinkmanship, & a last minute deal, so we'll see.
If the strike does go ahead, my opinion is that aggressive management is to blame, not the pilots.
The same may be said of impending C.Crew strike as well, sadly.
Only a month or so after BA tech & cabin crew have been praised by W.Walsh, he looks like he wants to screw them/us into the ground. Very sad. Lets hope common sense prevails.
Matt.

spoilers yellow
4th Feb 2008, 19:40
MR7958

No strike dates set as yet but due to legal requirements of when you must strike after balot etc you are right in thinking that you will be more likely to have an extended stay in California than not get out there at all.

alfamat....well said, couldn't agree more.