PDA

View Full Version : Victor Aviation Black Edition Engines

Guptar
4th Feb 2008, 05:05
An old friend of mine in Florida just sent me an email with pics of his new baby, a brand new G1000 equiped Baron. He's just had the Black edition treatment done to his engines. While the certainlu look the bees knees, I had to gulp when he told me the price......$21,000 USD Each for a top notch blue printing job, not an overhaul.

Is it worth it,are the Black edition engines that good, and is the quality of factory new engines that bad?

185skywagon
4th Feb 2008, 23:52
Guptar,
I had to gulp when he told me the price......$21,000 USD Each for a top notch blue printing job, not an overhaul.

Are you worried that it is too expensive, or that it is too cheap?
usd$21000 sounds fairly cheap for any big bore Conty, to me. That translates to about Au$25000 at todays rate.
Just had one done for $40 odd K, here.

Guptar
5th Feb 2008, 00:40
Skywagon,

That 21K figure was for the blueprinting of brand new engines ie 0 hrs. They dissasemble, balance everything, align the crankshaft with the case properly, and reassemble it.

They say doing this make the engine much smoother and more reliable.

Just curious if there is a tangable benefit.

185skywagon
5th Feb 2008, 01:04
Everything helps, I guess.
Victor have been around for a long time.
Still sounds very cheap to me.

aldee
5th Feb 2008, 01:24
If I read correctly it's 21k per engine on top of the engines being brand new ex factory to Raytheon ?
That makes 'em darn expensive initially; if you get to tbo without pulling them down you may think it money well spent,that along with the smoother running etc. thats claimed.

$42 k only adds around 4% to the buy price of a new Baron anyway:ok:

Mr Bomb
5th Feb 2008, 01:28
No first hand knowledge of Black engines, (although I have only ever read and heard good things about them from others) but an extra US$42K for a blueprint job on a US$1M+ aircraft seems like cheap insurance if it helps reduce engine and airframe wear...

Cheers
Mr B