PDA

View Full Version : Vista Desktop shortcuts moving

mini
3rd Feb 2008, 21:51
Hi Guys, a small but infuriating issue with Vista, If I arrange my shortcuts as I want, they get re-arranged randomly by Vista, it seems to be locating them by last used order. I've tried all the usual "arrange by type" etc but every time I go back to the Desktop they're all muddled up.

Anyone got a solution?

Cheers

Tarq57
3rd Feb 2008, 22:12
Never used Vista, but this may be useful: Windows Vista Help (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/help/038542e7-db5e-4331-b2fb-cfc3f0afa0b21033.mspx)

Mad (Flt) Scientist
3rd Feb 2008, 22:15
My desktop shortcuts stay where they are put with Vista; there's probably some kind of auto-arrange option that you've left enabled (XP used to have a "periodically clean my desktop" option that was annoying until deactivated)

One thing you may be doing that I've noticed with some versions of windows: if you navigate to your 'desktop' folder using Windows Explorer, and do ANYTHING with that view, it sometimes messes up the desktop itself. I've seen that with Win 2000. I try to avoid touching the desktop folder nowadays, so not sure if it afflicts Vista or not.