PDA

View Full Version : Bad Landing

Kiev23
3rd Feb 2008, 16:27
Just wondering airline pilots, what are your worst experiences when landing a jet.

bflyer
3rd Feb 2008, 17:38
slammed a b727 on rwy 30R DXB........the bounce was spectacular to say the least...:{ :yuk:

WaterMeths
4th Feb 2008, 08:31
...well I'm just sick of pulling off greasers every time. ;)

kwachon
4th Feb 2008, 08:37
Kiev23

Bad choice of words my friend

Bad Landing = Arrival

Pugilistic Animus
4th Feb 2008, 09:09
Many an arrival so far---a few good landings here and there too:}

mini cooper
4th Feb 2008, 09:33
In the Royal Navy any landing you walk away from is a good landing!!! After a few carrier landings you'll know what I mean!!:}

alexpc
5th Feb 2008, 00:57
...any landing you walk away from is a good landing!!!

And any landing where they can use the plane again is a great landing!

Therefore, I've never made anything but great landings :)

PyroTek
5th Feb 2008, 05:55
my first landing ever was in a 172SP... bounced pretty high and rolled slightly left.... my 2nd one, in a 152, was better.. lets see if i can put it out flat properly on saturday!

divinehover
5th Feb 2008, 06:07
Landed a B727-200 in FAPE (Port Elizabeth, SA). The 10 oxygen masks hanging fron the ceiling in the cabin said more than words could.

flyboyike
5th Feb 2008, 17:48
I put a CR2 on the nose gear. Twice.

bfisk
5th Feb 2008, 18:06
Had a student to constantly was flaring out too high - 5 to 10 feet above the runway. Constantly had to correct him but on the like hundredth attempt I was so sick of it I just let him go ahead with it, my plan was on letting him stall and then take the controls and recover. C172 btw.

Oh well he stalled it on allright. The instant before impact I was sure I was going to get the main gear up my behind.

(Had the plane inspected, no damage done. Amazing what these old 172s can do. And amazing how one learns the hard way not to let a student get you into something you can't get out of...)

tom775257
5th Feb 2008, 18:10
Slammed a 319 once and a 320 once too... both times was waiting for the post flight mx report to have a heavy landing note (when I was new to the Airbus). The A320 landing I got caught out by heavy/slight tailwind/high ROD on the glide, didn't flare early enough....50,40,30 20 fla.. 10 ..re BANG!

One of my friends managed to drop some O2 masks on the A320. Another friend of mine managed to put a Dash 8 into Mx for a heavy landing check.

Very bad for the confidence!

mad_jock
5th Feb 2008, 18:35
Leeds Bradford has been the site of most of my interesting arrivals.

Seen some right crunchers there as well waiting at the hold

main_dog
5th Feb 2008, 18:46
Ok since we're letting all our skeletons out of the closet...

Last month I crunched a 747-200 into 30L Singapore so hard that Jeppesen had to lower the threshold elevation but a couple feet. :\ Good they build the old girls tough. :ouch:

And back in 2004 I ploughed a 320 into 20 in Palermo... the bounce was so high the captain and I had time to look at each other when we momentarily got airborne again... his mouth a perfect O... the ashen pax de-boarding and the poor engineer who had to inspect the scarebus all night long were not amused...:{

Feel better now! :ok:

PS Best comment after a hard landing I ever heard came from a Captain reminiscing one of his harder "arrivals": apparently, shortly after pummeling a DC-8 into a runway, his Flight Engineer exclaimed, "Stuff me, mate, I've seen better landings were everyone was killed!"

JW411
5th Feb 2008, 19:04
The worst landing I ever did was at Francistown, Botswana back in the 1960's. The only member of the crew who had ever been there before was the loadmaster.

All we had was a latitude and longitude and the length and direction of the runway (ATC had gone hunting for the weekend).

I remember thinking that the runway looked longer than we had been led to believe when we hit it - hard - on all three legs! Nobody had told us that it was only 18 metres wide!!!!

FLCH
5th Feb 2008, 19:10
what are your worst experiences when landing a jet.

When the new-hire flight attendant told me she was late..... :}

K.Whyjelly
5th Feb 2008, 21:07
Heard tales of a guy "arriving" at LBA in a particularly stiff breeze across the runway and on landing was able to hear the No1 announce to the passengers that they hadn't in fact been shot down but had arrived at Leeds Bradford Airport!! Same No1 came into the flight deck and upon discovering who had "landed" the aircraft informed the pilot concerned in no uncertain terms that he was supposed to kiss the tarmac, not ...................

Doors to Automatic
5th Feb 2008, 21:34
Has anyone ever seen a plane go-around from a duff bounced landing or float to far and go-around? I've never seen either having watched 000s of landings so I guess it can't be that common.

If you are in a float and running out of space is it tempting to pull the spoilers? That would get the bird down fairly quickly I guess?

speed787
5th Feb 2008, 21:51
My first landing was when i was 13 in Guam, having my 1st ever flight with a japanese FI, after showing me how to land with a Touch n go. Touched down with 1 wheel and a 10degrees bank, the airplane was skidding so much that i thought i was in a rally car!

Even today, i still deeply admire that FI's courage!!

Contacttower
5th Feb 2008, 21:52
If you are in a float and running out of space is it tempting to pull the spoilers? That would get the bird down fairly quickly I guess?

Someone on the SLF forum tried to accuse Ryanair of doing just that a while ago...I somehow doubt it though. The only time I've heard of it actually happening was when the spoilers were "accidentally" pulled at about 50ft in a VC10, resulting in a very hard landing and quite a lot of damage to the aircraft.

john_tullamarine
5th Feb 2008, 22:21
No point starting on my bad landings ... be here all day ... then, again, I probably could cover the really good ones in a single line ..

Most impressive I saw ... years ago, on a business trip to Laos, got invited to go both ways in the jumpseat (727-ski). Captain spoke good English, F/O passable, F/E none .. and not too sure what the other guy did ... talk about a cockpit that looked like it was out of Flying High ..

On the way into Vientiane I was absolutely impressed by the soft landing the 349-bogie undercarriage gave the PF ... necessary part of the tale is that it appeared to me that the F/E called the touchdown whereupon the speedbrakes would be pulled ...

Then, a few weeks later, on the way back into Bangkok, thunderstorms everywhere (and I was the only one in a seat belt) we were pedalling down the ILS and the captain (PF on this sector) flared way too high (30 ft ?). The F/E called something .. and a hand pulled the boards. Now, being a long time 727-200 driver, and having pile-driven innumerable hulls into various runways, I died a thousand deaths waiting for death to become permanent in the next few seconds ...yet the bird just sort of waffled its way onto the runway without anything more that a modest thump ...

Now, that's MY sort of aeroplane ...

cheesycol
5th Feb 2008, 23:28
23R at Manch with a stiff crosswind from the right has caused a few slammers, not got the o2 masks down yet though.

Saw a shamrock colleague go around off a bounce - appeared to catch a gust and eat up a lot of runway at about 10ft RA! Then binned it for another go. Was a wickedly windy day though.

RingwaySam
6th Feb 2008, 01:03
Has anyone ever seen a plane go-around from a duff bounced landing or float to far and go-around? I've never seen either having watched 000s of landings so I guess it can't be that common.

Saw a GB Airways A320 do this back in '05. Winds were around 20kts, not sure if it was gusting or not. Was all over the place on approach doing it's best. Looked like it was going to touchdown fairly smoothly but it then started to float up before dropping into the runway. Aircraft bounced up floated quite abit before gently touching down then immediately powering up and going-around. Impressive, but very scary sight.

23R at Manch with a stiff crosswind from the right has caused a few slammers, not got the o2 masks down yet though.

Heard pilots report mod/sev turbulence quiet alot on the scanner at MAN - Why is this? It's not as if there is high buildings around or it's in a valley. Also seems to suffer from windshear alot on fairly windy days. Is this normal for windy days?

kwachon
6th Feb 2008, 01:29
I remember during my 737 checkride, I dropped the nosewheel rather hard on the second landing at 0100hrs Houston, I looked at the check captain who looked back at me and said, " well the thing didn't break off but how about we keep it on the runway...", go around followed by a very gentle second attempt and yes believe it or not, passed the type ride......

perkin
6th Feb 2008, 11:04
Also seems to suffer from windshear alot on fairly windy days

I believe the windshear is caused by the terminal buildings when said wind is coming from the direction of the terminals when MAN 23R is in operation...Don't forget there are a couple of substantial multi-storey car parks over on that part of the site...

Impression from a pax point of view it that it always seems to be a bit of a struggle to land on that runway, what with the hill and all...it seems to attract rather more 'firm contacts' than greasers!

Doors to Automatic
6th Feb 2008, 12:42
Or they miss the hump competely and float 4000 feet before touching down!

(God help them if this had been BHX!)

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircraft_Boeing_777-300ER-Airline_Emirates_Aviation_Video-6757.html

everynowandthen
6th Feb 2008, 13:47
Didn't Monarch end up with a nice big bump in the cockpit floor after an enthusiastic landing in Gib a few years ago?

mad_jock
6th Feb 2008, 13:53
That car park thats always empty on about 1.5 miles finals when the suns out gives a fair old thermal just when your in the grove on 23R.

The other thing about MAN why does it more often than not have GBFO cell sitting over the top of ROSUN.

cloudskimmer
6th Feb 2008, 14:23
a nice example here of the weather last week at leeds. the captain did a great job

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAljM7CaY10

RobT100
6th Feb 2008, 14:37

get yoiurself to Leeds Bradford on a windy or generally bad day and there is a chance you will see this. Its happened to me and lots of my clients.

swiss_swiss
6th Feb 2008, 14:52
what about this perfectly performed landing :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5prz1Ae5QM

i like the nose gear landing only after the first bounce!

JEM60
6th Feb 2008, 15:45
Was that a landing, or was it shot down???

mad_jock
6th Feb 2008, 15:58
Take that City Airport.

BAe machines really are built like brick poo houses.

I presume it needed a check after that one. Wonder if there was any damage.

llanfairpg
6th Feb 2008, 16:01
One of the smoothest landings ever reported was supposed to have been the Dan Air Comet at Newcastle landed by the Chief Pilot. I think the aircraft is still there, he forgot to put the gear down.

99XXTS
6th Feb 2008, 16:03
I wasn't in the Swiss RJ but I surely performed a similar landing in LCY. But in LCY those landings aren't so uncommon.

RingwaySam
6th Feb 2008, 16:34
mad_jock, Perkin,

Thanks for the replies.

That LCY video :eek:

Doors to Automatic
6th Feb 2008, 17:14
Here's a cracker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTxCUcPY734&feature=related

swiss_swiss
6th Feb 2008, 17:31
that is also a 146/RJ and landing at basel - think its a BA plane tho and not one of the swiss ones

cats_five
6th Feb 2008, 18:56
Here's a cracker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTxCUcPY734&feature=related

The majority of the comments I could bear to read made the majority of the WAGS 777 thread comments look erudite. Thankfully most of the commentators will never be flying a plane of any kind.