PDA

View Full Version : Twin otter course

alpha-b
3rd Feb 2008, 13:36
Hey folks.I'm going 4 a type rating on a DHC-6 including simulator training on the same machine,can anybody give me infos on what to expect and learn beforehand?i'd like 2 know what's the whole course like.Regards 2 all

Sir Osis of the river
3rd Feb 2008, 18:01
Pardon my genuine ignorance, but where is a twin otter sim? (Not in Africa I guess)

Wish we had had access to one back in the day.

skyvan
3rd Feb 2008, 18:05
There is one at Flight Safety in Toronto.

Most of the guys from SAX will have seen it during the Dash 8 course.

chuks
3rd Feb 2008, 18:57
I would suggest flying over a few days early to get over your jet lag if you are coming from Europe. That lets you get maximum value out of the course, plus you can get out to see a bit of the city.

The Metro (subway, whatever they call it) is cheap and fast for a trip downtown. Make sure to visit the Ontario Provincial Museum and the Art Gallery of Ontario.

You will get everything you need presented very well on the course. Show up rested and FSI shall do the rest!

alpha-b
4th Feb 2008, 08:58
thanx very much guys for your contributions,the sim is at Flightsafety toronto,i would just need some tips on the course in case any of you know it.Cheers

Cruiseclimb
4th Feb 2008, 14:18
I could be wrong.. but because of the weight, does a twin Otter require a type rating?

Sir Osis of the river
5th Feb 2008, 05:48
As far as my sieve of a brain can remember the SA regs, anything with a turbine engine needs a type rating?

chuks
5th Feb 2008, 12:21
For JAR you need: DHC6 Series and, on the next line, IR-SPA-ME. The rationale is that, even if you fly it two-crew, it is a single-pilot aircraft so that you need a single-pilot Instrument Rating.

Under FAA rules, (from what I remember from about 29 years ago) since it not above 12 500 pounds MTOM you do not need a type-rating and in fact you cannot get a type-rating from the FAA.

This can be awkward if you flew it on an FAA licence and now want to fly it on a JAR licence, since there is no type-rating to show. The most you would have is a Part 135 check form, but that is a document that goes to the Operator and not to the individual pilot.

V1... Ooops
10th Feb 2008, 09:22
The staff at FlightSafety will give you a pretty complete set of training manuals and study guides. If you are taking an initial course, the classroom portion of the training is 5 days, and the simulator portion will be another 4 to 5 days.

It should be a pleasant course - there is enough content to keep you busy, but not so much that you are overworked. Just listen to the instructor during the class presentations, then read the same subjects in the training manual later than evening to review.

The classroom presentations are designed to follow the manual very closely, so you should not need to take very many notes at all. In fact, if you have more than a single page of notes at the end of the one week course, you're doing something wrong, because everything you need is written down in the training manual and the study guides.

alpha-b
10th Feb 2008, 16:21
Thanks a lot V1 Ooops for shedding on some lights on the matter,i really needed some informations before i start the course so as to get ready before time.regards