PDA

View Full Version : XP Answerphone

Kulu
3rd Feb 2008, 13:09
Hi all.

I was told that XP (home edition) has all the software I need to be able to use my PC as an answerphone. Is this true, and if so how do I access it? I have been rooting around for a while and have not been able to find out.

If it's not true, can anyone advise me as to the best software to download that can do this? I'm not too concerned about fax ability, although it would be occasionally useful.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

frostbite
3rd Feb 2008, 14:23
There's quite a bit of software around to do the job - I'll come back if I can remember the name of the one I used to use.

Meanwhile, try a search on Tucows or ZDnet for anwerphone software.

poss
3rd Feb 2008, 14:39
Xp Home doesn't.. XP professional does - its in accessories but can't remember the name. I think it's like the old windows 98 answer phone.
Search google im sure you'll find something.

frostbite
3rd Feb 2008, 16:43
Supervoice was the one I used a lot.

But you will need a modem.

Kulu
4th Feb 2008, 06:50
Thanks for the suggestions - I'll take a look at all of those!

airborne_artist
4th Feb 2008, 08:52
There's another way of achieving the end result - a VOIP account with say Sipgate.co.uk - a UK geographic number (eg 01491 XXXXXX, you choose the area code) with voicemail that sends a .wav file to your nominated email account, and which you can listen to online from any internet enabled terminal.

Ideal if you are travelling, and can't take mobile calls because you are six miles high. Free to set up, and you only pay if you place outgoing calls over their network, no charge for incoming.