PDA

View Full Version : JAA1 Medical - Anti Depressants

Paul777
2nd Feb 2008, 22:29
Hi Guys

I am going to take my Medical in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anybody has failed due to being on or having taken Anti Depressants? Due to past work stresses and bereavement I have taken them and not ashamed! How is this perceived by them, is it an automatic fail? I have been offered two placements on intergrated courses and dont want to stumble at the final stage! :confused:

Shunter
3rd Feb 2008, 07:54
A friend went for his initial medical recently and had also taken anti-D's in the past. They simply required a letter from his GP stating that he'd been off them without further problems for a certain period of time (recall 6 months).

Paul777
3rd Feb 2008, 14:44
Cheers Shunter, I have also heard you only have disclose current medication and it is not even something they go into unless you state this. Thanks for the advise:)

gingernut
3rd Feb 2008, 20:44
From previous posts, it would seem that each case is judged individually, but it would appear that current use of antidepressants, and flying is a "no-no."

Try a search, this has been covered in the last few weeks.

Interestingly, this question is becoming more frequent on this forum, so it's fair to say that you won't be the first trainee/current pilot to find yourself in this position.

It's not a question of shame, good luck and keep us posted.

Paul777
3rd Feb 2008, 21:15
Cheers gingernut :)

Unfortunately anti depressants are seen as an easy solution to when you are feeling down and it is so easy to be labelled a 'nut' once you mention the phrase! I have searched several notes and it appears that you have to be clear of them for a period of three months.

If anybody else has experienced this prior or during your medical it would be good to hear from you. Thanks again!

Marki74
5th Feb 2008, 18:59
Hi Paul

As mentioned on my previous reply to your earlier thread the key is to disclose all issues relating to your application. I think Anti Depressants are a big issue of you are currently taking these. If you took them say 5 years ago for a short time, then I would certainly not make a big issue of this. I took a dose of old style anti depressants around 2 years ago for a couple of weeks and when I explained the circumstances he was happy with this. Not even put on my record as to him this was irrelevant...

Remember dont lie as the Medical Officer told me that the tests they do will show mostly all drugs that are in your system.

As already mentioned if you are in fit health and pass the other tests, this should not in anyway penalise you?