PDA

View Full Version : Comms Problem

Choppersquad
2nd Feb 2008, 19:53
Guys
I Have Just Received Our Ab206iii Back From Its Annual. About Two Hours Flight Time After Annual,i Started To Get A Static Noice From Box 1 Switched To Box 2 And Still Received The Same Noise As If The Squelch Is Up Full On Both Boxes Checked All Comms Settings But To No Avail.it Is Grounded Until I Track Down The Problem As You Can Not Hear Anything Due To Full On Stactic Through The Headset.
Any Comments Welcome On Problem Solving.

Thanks
Choppersquad.

ShyTorque
2nd Feb 2008, 20:40
If it's got a VOR, check the ident listen switch hasn't been selected on by mistake.

Helinut
2nd Feb 2008, 22:09
Any NAV equipment can be left on as Shy Torque says and drown out the COMs.

Some suggestions if it is not the above:

Something may now be causing interference that was not previously.
Change the frequencies on the COM boxes and see if the noise is frequency dependent.
Is the noise still there when the engines are off?

Those may help to tie it down a bit

Desert Dingo
2nd Feb 2008, 23:08
I Reckon That It Is The Auto - Capitals Switch That Has Been Left ON. :E

Geoff Williams
3rd Feb 2008, 02:22
Finding the source of unwanted audio signals heard in the phones needs to be systematic. You may be fortunate that the "noise" is present all the time which makes pinning down its source a lot easier. There are some obvious questions to be asked here like; does this fault occur with the engine off? Is it present on both pilot and passenger audio circuits? What avionics do you have fitted? Did you have any problem prior to the Annual? Was any electrical or radio work carried out other than the normal Annual testing/calibration.

Some good suggestions have been offered already with regard to the additional nav/com gear that is fitted to your helicopter. It’s a matter of isolating everything, including the audio panels and seeing which one of the black boxes is playing up.

With the engine off and the noise still present, then this tends to eliminate the engine side of things at this stage. Switch off all transponders, nav and comms units at their individual on/off switch. Switch both audio boxes to their emergency positions. This now isolates the internal audio amplifier of the audio boxes and connects the pilot’s mic, phones and ptt to (usually) comm 1. If the noise is still present, you have an external wiring problem not associated with any of the black boxes. Talk to the engineers that did your Annual and find out whereabouts in the airframe they have been playing.

If the noise is not present, with all the black boxes still off, switch the audio panels one at a time off the emergency position and to comm1. If the noise is present, switch each off in turn to see which audio box is the culprit.

If the noise is not present, switch all the receive audio switches on the audio panel to your phones position then switch on comm. 1 at it’s on/off switch and check. Ensure that the comm’s squelch control is not open. Some comms have a pull up function on their volume controls that open the squelch, which is easily missed that it is sitting up. If still no noise that would have indicated that comm1 is the villain, turn off comm. 1 and do the same test for comm. 2. Remember to turn off each item once it has been cleared as individually being the cause.

If noise is not present, switch off comm.2 and try each of your nav units individually in a similar manner. Finally try the transponder. Then turn everything on and see which if any cause the problem to reappear.

Some other equipment can feed direct into audio panels without any means of isolation. Things like Rad Alt and AVAD and other audio warning system in the aircraft that you normally hear in your headset could also be a source.

Good luck.

Geoff

Choppersquad
3rd Feb 2008, 14:04
thanks guys for the info, i think we have went over the ideas you have Geoff but i,am now printing off you reply to carry out your plan in detail, hope it is a panel problem.
i will let you know how i get on.

thanks
choppersquad.

L-Band
3rd Feb 2008, 17:20
Switch off the intercomm, or is the voice activated squelch on.