PDA

View Full Version : USB ports stuffed?

Binoculars
2nd Feb 2008, 14:27
B4 has a fairly ancient Acer travelmate laptop with two USB ports, both of which are, well, stuffed from constant use. USB hubs are easily obtained but into what does one plug them apart from a USB port? Is there a solution to this which is cost effective given the whole computer is worth not much at all, though it will cater for all her needs (whether said 14 year old agrees with that assessment)?

MacBoero
2nd Feb 2008, 14:31
Does that laptop have a PC-Card slot?

bnt
2nd Feb 2008, 17:14
I'm in a similar situation with an old laptop, but I'm eking a little more life out of it by:
- using a docking station at home, which has its own USB sockets
- using a cable with a Mini-B plug on one end. and two USB plugs on the other. The two plugs mean that it makes better contact on the socket shell, which is where the damage is in my case. You can get an extension-type cable with two plugs, e.g. here (http://www.addonics.com/products/power_adapter/usb_power_cable.asp), though I got my cable with an external disk drive (which needs more current than a single socket can provide).

http://www.addonics.com/products/power_adapter/images/dual_usb_input_pcable_med.gif

Binoculars
3rd Feb 2008, 01:29
Thanks folks. Sound advice as always.

twiggs
3rd Feb 2008, 01:31
The PCMCIA slot adapter is what I use, but in this case, you may have to find one with an alternate power supply as most are powered using an existing USB port.
You can use the PCMCIA adapter without the power supply for small things like a mouse and webcam but for multiple items and things like USB wireless LAN adapters you may need a power source.

Atlas Shrugged
3rd Feb 2008, 01:50
Yep, PCMCIA adapter is the best way to go.

whether said 14 year old agrees with that assessment

I have been trying to explain to my 17 year old son (since he was about 13) the difference between a need and a want! :ugh::ugh:Tried the same with eldest son some years ago (now 25 and moved out) since about the same age with similar success viz; **** all! :ugh:

Glad to know it's not just me then :ok:

bjkeates
3rd Feb 2008, 22:15
Incidentally have you tried removing the laptop battery overnight and replacing it in the morning? My ex had some problems with hers a while back and I picked that tip up off a tech website somewhere. Apparently it allows the stored power to drain from the capacitors or something... I don't know a great deal about electronics, but when she put the battery back in the next morning they went from barely recognising anything being plugged in to fully working.

Just a thought in case you wanted to give it a try.

Binoculars
4th Feb 2008, 09:54
Thanks for the suggestion but this is simply a case of the USB ports not being as tight as they used to be due to constant use, and not very careful use at that. A lot of women will know the problem only too well.

Mac the Knife
4th Feb 2008, 10:34
"I tighten loose women"

:ok:

Mac

Binoculars
4th Feb 2008, 10:44
But I suspect you may be uneconomic for USB ports..... :uhoh:

NeoDude
5th Feb 2008, 13:47
Get a fine dental pick or something similar and just lift each of the 4 gold contacts in each of the sockets a bit to bend them out a touch. Should improve contact a fair bit. Also a small cotton bud dipped in Ethanol or white spirit could be used to give the contacts a clean.