PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter radiotelephony

strsljen
2nd Feb 2008, 12:42
Hi there,
For the my very firs time here I can say that this is one of the best sites dealing with Air Force problems. Just go on! :ok:
Now back to the problem, I'm heli flight instructor and currently I'm making the Manual of radiotelephony specially for heli pilots. The main source are ICAO and CAA documents but there are no details like: flight in formation, emergence procedures for helicopters etc.
My question is: does anybody knows something about it from practice or has experience in that field?

Thanks!

OHP 15M
2nd Feb 2008, 19:29
Knot me cheef, I is en gins :ok:

RAFEmployee
2nd Feb 2008, 23:05
Hope you do a spell check before you publish it.

strsljen
3rd Feb 2008, 10:03
HA HA very funny. No, I'll let you to do it, "PROFESOR". Please, be useful RAFEmployee, make my day and go away.

Fg Off Max Stout
3rd Feb 2008, 11:13
When all members of the formation are ready to lift, the leader uses the proword 'UP-DIDDLEE-UP-UP' to signal takeoff.

Similarly on completion of pre-landing checks, the leader indicates landing with the proword 'DOWN-DIDDLEE-UM-DOWN'.

If any member of the formation is forced to carry out a missed approach / go around, he signals this to the leader with 'UP-DOWN-FLYING-AROUND'.

minigundiplomat
3rd Feb 2008, 11:50
I was labouring under the illusion that the 'force' played quite a large part, as did luck. Certainly the case last Friday!

strsljen
9th Feb 2008, 20:07
Minigundiplomat,
I'm not following you. What are you talking about?:confused:

Tigs2
9th Feb 2008, 21:03
strsjlen

To be honest I think you are asking for info that nobody in their right mind would give you on a public forum. I am sure if you wrote through official channels to the Rotary Tactics Evaluation unit, they will provide you with a full set of all formation procedures and calls.

If you are a military instructor you would know that neither the manual Of Radio Telephony or ICAO or the CAA would contain/know any knowledge of any such things. If you are in the military, then which one is it with? If you are not, then you do not need to know.

minigundiplomat
9th Feb 2008, 21:05
Hypothetically, I can reveal that if given a choice between HF and two baked bean tins and a length of string, I'd be scrabbling for a tin opener.

Utrinque Apparatus
10th Feb 2008, 10:31
Apparently the first 3 rules of Helicopter Radiotelephony are

1 Breathe in a blast of neat Helium

2 Place a Black and Decker power sander on your chest and switch on

3 Press to Transmit

:}