PDA

View Full Version : Asiana 767 Captain upgrade to 777?

Asianlonghaul
2nd Feb 2008, 06:25
Another question for the Asiana folks! I am looking at a B767 Captains contract for 2 years with Asiana through Rishworth, what are the chances of getting on a 777 after this or even during this period with Asiana? Also do the 777 Captains get a higher salary than the 767 Captains? How are they to fly for?
Any straight answers would be very appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

CLenardjr
10th Feb 2008, 21:09
Hi! I went through the 767 interview. First of all, everybody treated me very nice and with respect. The medical was intensive enough to put NASA to shame. This physical should be for a 25 year old who wants to put 30 years in with the company. The Koreans do not set differences between 25 and 57 years old when it comes to physical standards. This is why they are having trouble hiring people. I was already disillusioned before I went into the simulator check. You are going to live in the industrial part of Seoul with the factory families. The only places you are going to fly are the domestic Korea, parts of China and Japan, and Manila. You will have eight days a month off (not consecutive) and other non-flying days, you will spend standby. The 767 Chief Pilot is professional and is very interested in ex-pats. Unfortunately, I got stuck with a First Officer who was nervious and panicked when I did not do Asiana procedures. The simulator is not the best and had to be reset a couple of times. The bottom line is that I had enough by the time we finally got airborne and I made sure that I did not pass the sim check. I have heard about Korean "face" so I made sure that they failed me rather than I decline them. I do not know if that was the correct decision. The bottom line is that Asiana is a good company but it was not the best for me. Let me know if you need any more information.

Molokai
10th Feb 2008, 21:25
Ha ha ha...can't stop laughing!!!

CLenardjr
10th Feb 2008, 21:50
Share the joke.

xtwapilot
10th Feb 2008, 22:11
You are the joke my friend. Just admit that you screwed up on the sim ride and most of us would understand. Blame your F/O and we all have been around the block long enough to know that only weak sisters blame others. Good luck.

Xtwapilot

Asianlonghaul
11th Feb 2008, 08:08
Many thanks CLenardjr (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=142828)

CAPTDOUG
11th Feb 2008, 11:07
I have recently successfully completed the Asiana interview process and have a class date. I'm an old guy 55+. I found the physical very tough but I passed. I agree they want you to be a 22 year old. But I found Asiana very professional and respectful. My sim ride was with another Korean F/O and he only understood the Korean way but was professional. The instructor didn't like my procedures (my old airline is advanced from the Boeing procedures) but I told him prior to entering and he was OK with that. It caused a little difficulty in the sim but I worked around it. I was there with a 767 expat and he was dismissed after his sim ride. (got a letter under his door one morning ;thanks, but no thanks). He didn' know why and never found out. The Koreans are very strict on their way but as a good Captain you should have the ability to work around them with good CRM.

The air law exam is tough but there is plenty of info out there to help out. They have an English exam where you explain about 15 situations into a tape recorder that they evaluate later. The interview was OK, we just sat around individually and BS'd with a guy. Wasn't anything surprising and pretty upfront.

I don't know anything about their upgrading process but I will find out while I am in class. Also be advised Asiana is starting a 777 base in FRA.

RESPECT RESPECT RESPECT good CRM and be physically fit should work.

CLenardjr
11th Feb 2008, 23:27
Gee, you do not cut much slack with your follow pilots. I guess that I got fed too much political corectness growing up in California. Yes, maybe I should have just flippled them the finger and walked away before I got into the box. How about I flew C-130's over there in the 1970's and know something about their culture? I guess that the American pilots were correct in treating the TWA guys. Yeah, we are throwing mud at each other. The bottom line is that this profession is not going to grow until everybody backs each other up. Anything I can do to help your career? ;)

xtwapilot
12th Feb 2008, 00:16
My career is just fine thanks. But lets face it, your post came off blaming the F/O for a bad ride, hence, my comments.

Xtwapilot

CLenardjr
12th Feb 2008, 00:52
First of all, my apology to a fellow pilot for the snide comment. I tend to get defensive when somebody questions my skills. I am going to try this one more time. Yes, I had already given up before I went into the box but I thought to give it a go to see what it would be like. Asiana had already provided me with the profile so I knew what to anticipate. The simulator had malfunctioned twice so that a technician had to be called in. The FO was nervious because the Chief Pilot was there. The FO was not the reason why the session went bad. I was the reason why the session went bad and it is my responsibility alone. I wanted out of there and maybe I should have said something before we climbed in there. Are there any questions? :=

xtwapilot
13th Feb 2008, 03:12
Thats all you had to say, we've all had days and places we wanted out of. If one does this gig long enough, it happens. With that I sincerely hope you find a place to hang you hat for while. Good Luck.

Xtwapilot

CLenardjr
14th Feb 2008, 22:33
First, I still feel bad about the comment I made. The send button should be labeled "regret". After doing this, the first moment I do not feel good about the interview process, I am just going to set the parking brake. Why waste everybody's time? The bottom line is that Asiana is a good company but you need to investigate throughly everything before you even go over there. As for me, after 25 years with Delta, I am only horseing around with overseas flying because I am driving my wife crazy. Within the next month, I have interviews for a 747 and a 777 job. This was a learning experience and I will either go in there with a good attitude or just go to the hotel bar. Thanks for helping me put my head on straight. :ugh: