PDA

View Full Version : Oranges in the Cabin and Liquid Restrictions

scrunchthecat
1st Feb 2008, 20:02
I'm about to visit my family in Florida. I like to take some oranges home with me on the airplane. It just occurred to me - can I bring a bag of oranges on board as a carry-on? Or does it violate the limitation on liquids? The bags we get from the groves are those big mesh ones.

http://wolfram.org/images/orange_bag1.gif

radeng
2nd Feb 2008, 08:01
Last time I was there, they were very tight on bringing oranges into Florida because of fruit fly infection.

TightSlot
2nd Feb 2008, 08:20
Fruit into Florida? U.S. Customs have specifically trained canine-americans (in rather smart green jackets) to prevent this happening. Best advice would be - Don't.

Hartington
2nd Feb 2008, 08:38
Seeing as the OP is from PA I suspect he wants to export the oranges from FL to PA.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to the question.

TightSlot
2nd Feb 2008, 10:47
Good Spot Hartington - and teaches me something about assumptions also...

scrunchthecat
3rd Feb 2008, 00:09
Yippers, I want to purchase my oranges in Florida and bring em back with me to PA. Preferably in the cabin. I can't imagine what the baggage handlers would do with a sack o oranges. I imagine much orange juice squirting out from being thrown around.

Eboy
3rd Feb 2008, 10:42
In Hawaii airports, in the gift shops after security, I see these big boxes packed with two pineapples that can be brought on board as carry on. I cannot see a problem with bags of oranges but cannot say for sure it is OK.

3rd Feb 2008, 13:39
I've no idea how well it's enforced, but don't forget that there is a limit to the amount of fruit and vegetable products that you can bring in as a personal import.

Travellers may import up to 2kg per person of fruit and raw vegetables, provided they are (a) intended for personal use, (b) free from signs of pests and diseases. Flowers and foliage forming a single bouquet, and up to five retail packets of seeds may be imported.

tightslop
3rd Feb 2008, 14:14
best to check with the import regulations of the country you live in about restricted items.

Hartington
3rd Feb 2008, 17:04
I know that there are sometimes restrictions on taking agricultural products across state boundaries in the US but quoting federal import regulations when the OP is trying to get Oranges from Florida to Pennsylvania is hardly appropriate.

Having said I don't know the answer to the question (and I don't) I must admit I would *not* try and take Oranges as described on to a plane. The TSA website http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1667.shtm does say the unpeeled fruit is allowed but I suspect that refers to one, or two pieces; I can't help feeling that a bag of the size proposed might raise a few eyebrows.