PDA

View Full Version : Counting logic in old Win 98

Loose rivets
1st Feb 2008, 18:34
I've never noticed this before, but when I put a stick into my main computer it is the same listings of file names as the original. ie list go 1 2 3 4 5 etc., with the chapter name after, so that they fall into order for the book I'm writing.

When displayed on my old laptop...Win98 SE they go 1 10 11 12 etc until they run out of 1s and to 2s Same stick - different computer, how difficult could this be? But things like this only happen when you're in a rush :ugh:

I guess the answer is in some settings somewhere, or is it inherent in Win 98? but I'm frantically rushing to get back to the UK and don't have too much time to spend, searching for where uncle Bill's staff have hidden my counting logic control.

frostbite
1st Feb 2008, 19:45
Could it be as simple as your settings in View?

ie by date, file name or whatever.

Loose rivets
1st Feb 2008, 20:46
I've tried View and clicked the top bar to reverse the order...and then back again. It seems to be some fundamental nomenclature logic that has changed.

But here's a thing. I've got this laptop out after years of not using it. Could it be that Win 98 was always like that?

S'land
1st Feb 2008, 22:49
Most files listed numerically go 1, 10, 11, etc. the trick is to put a zero in front of the single numbers, i.e. 01, 02, 03, 04, etc. That way the files will run in numerical order up to 99.

If the numbers are going to go over 99 you need to put two zero's in front of the first nine numbers and one zero in front of 10 to 99.

Loose rivets
2nd Feb 2008, 05:09
I'll put the chapter names in as they appear.

I have only just started calling a chapter by a number then a memory jogger name. It was to aid keeping order should I muddle chapters in an increasingly complex book. So, I have only ever done this using XP.

I'm almost relieved that your idea doesn't work. I have backups in four towns in two countries!

I put chapter '2 Weston' as '02 Weston' and it plonked itself in between '0 Synopsis' and '1 Last Flight'. But only when viewed with 98 SP2 On the office computer it's normal and of course remains so on the 'Stick' despite displaying the Stick incorrectly on the laptop. It has to be the Explorer...doesn't it?

I started writing this book in 1983 on an IBM XT, so it's seen quite a few operating systems :}

Dark Star
2nd Feb 2008, 10:44
AFAIK it is inherent in Win 98.

I noticed it the other way round a few years ago when I changed to XP and could label my photo collections 1 2 3 .... 10 11 12 ...etc and explorer would now sort them as I had intended.

frostbite
2nd Feb 2008, 11:37
Don't know if this will make a difference but I use Power Desk 5 (the free one) instead of Explorer because it's more versatile.

Worth a try?

Keef
2nd Feb 2008, 13:21
I think it depends whether it's treating them as ASCII or numbers.

ASCII will go 1 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 1A 1B 1C... 2 20 21 ...

Loose rivets
2nd Feb 2008, 16:07
That's interesting Keef. One will quickly write some more chapters and test that hypothesis. Well, give me another 20 years. :}

Dark Star Seems to have confirmed my fears.

I was given this Sony as an insurance write-off, and repaired it myself. It's cost me nowt, but I guess that I'm going to have to get another one soon. The black slate screen and piece of chalk on a string are a clue to its age.

stickyb
3rd Feb 2008, 09:53
Just in case you thought all OS where the same, The sort order for files and folders whose names contain numerals is different in Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 than it is in Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319827

For WIN98 I think the basic code page sets also influenced things.