PDA

View Full Version : Blackpool Ferry Rescue

DeepC
1st Feb 2008, 07:09
All,

BBC News are reporting 14 crew airlifted off the RoRo ferry grounded off Blackpool in force 10 winds. Must have been quite sporting.

Only caught 2 minutes or so of News 24 so have no idea who to congratulate.

Regards,

DeepC

Olde Devonian
1st Feb 2008, 07:31
From my sources 3 rescue helicopters involved, One eventually night stopped at Blackpool and redeployed early this morning. Fantastic job by the crews - the weather was worse than 'orrible here yesterday during the day - but out over the water last night must have been worse.
If I had a hat I'd take it off to you! :D :ok:

GBALU53
1st Feb 2008, 07:34
The rescue info can be found here.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/weather/Story
Congratulations to all 3 helicopters and a number of RNLI boats were part of the opertion.

G-CPTN
1st Feb 2008, 07:35
Conditions reported to have deteriorated (!) around 5am and attempts to refloat the stranded vessel by the remaining crew onboard had to be abandoned, lifeboats standing by apparently unable to approach, so helicopter rescue was resummoned and all souls now lifted off (safely).
The work of the (RAF, Royal Navy and Coastguard) SAR crews in such appalling winds must be sincerely complimented.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44396000/jpg/_44396599_ferry_203.jpg
Video:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_7220000/newsid_7221400?redirect=7221445.stm&news=1&nbram=1&bbram=1&nbwm=1&bbwm=1&asb=1
More at:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/7221386.stm

Helipolarbear
1st Feb 2008, 07:43
Congrats to all the Crew involved. Apparently expert flying under extreme hazardous conditions with mission accomplished with all lives saved.
Helmets and Hats Off!:ok:

ShyTorque
1st Feb 2008, 07:47
Well done to all brave rescuers! :ok:

Wiggly Bob
1st Feb 2008, 07:49
As an ex Merchant Mariner myself, I would like to echo everyones comments. Well done to everyone, air crew and the VOLUNTEER lifeboat crews who all put their lives on the line to help others.:D:ok:

Rob

G-CPTN
1st Feb 2008, 08:02
See the location here:- http://www.aisliverpool.co.uk/showship.php?mmsi=308912000

From:- http://www.aisliverpool.co.uk/currentmap.php?map=Fleetwood_

JimB
1st Feb 2008, 08:28
May I reiterate Olde Devonian's comments about taking my hat off if I had one.

I live a few houses down from the promenade and when initially hearing a helicopter flying over, I thought how insane to be out flying in these conditions. Having looked out of the window after hearing a helicopter a few times more, my thoughts quickly changed as I saw a Sea King gracefully hoving into position over my house, an incredible sight it was too.

Only to hear the news this morning, not that it was just 'scamp the dog' that fell into the drink but that a coordinated rescue requiring skill, effort and numerous parties involved with many lives at risk did I feel humbled.

A BIG well done all.

HAL9000
1st Feb 2008, 09:25
The boys and girls from Stornoway have carried out an impressive rescue off St Kilda using their shiny new S92, well done to all those involved.

Is this the first major rescue in bad conditions for the new S92s?

Busy night for everybody it would appear.

LHSboy
1st Feb 2008, 09:45
Congratulations to all involved with the rescue - no lives lost and everyone home safe and sound. Best of luck pulling that ferry off the bank! :D
P.S. Where were the rescue crews from and what type of aircraft involved?

bell222
1st Feb 2008, 10:32
nice work :D:D:D

EESDL
1st Feb 2008, 13:36
Well done to all involved - both in the air and on the ground.
Excellent display of skill and courage by all.......but you're still SBWs
:ok:

jemax
1st Feb 2008, 13:52
Heroic work by all involved, but what the hell was the ship doing out there?

If as a commercial pilot I had done the equivalent I would have been lambasted. Dover, Felixtowe etc. were all shut, why were they out there putting themselves and others at risk. The weather was well forecast and certainly should not have caught anyone out.

Do they not have any kind of operational limits, if so they must surely have put to sea in excess of them.

Luckily noone was hurt.

Ship Manager
1st Feb 2008, 15:42
Great jemax lets just blame the Captain – a concept not generally supported here?
How about waiting to see what the boys at the MAIB (our AAIB) come up with first.

Felixstowe may have been closed, but Heysham I presume wasn't closed (although anybody who has been there normally thinks it should be)

Different Companies have different operational limitations – some have none. Some ships have specific operational limitations, some have none.
Masters still have huge discretionary powers.

Well done the SAR boys, not a lot the marine assets could do.

jemax
1st Feb 2008, 15:53
Some have no operational limits, astounding! The various operational manuals I have to adhere to leave almost nothing to discretion.

I was not meaning to blame the captain, but I do question the operational framework in which he operates, if there are no operational limits there should be. If they are and he chose to depart within them they would appear to need reviewing.

I guess my point is that the weather that was expected to be severe was well forecast, I have to question why they were out there operationally. If it was aviation the first suspect is the pilot making poor weather decisions, yet I heard no debate about why they were out there in the first place.

Ship Manager
1st Feb 2008, 16:13
Accept you were not blaming the Master.

We do have a raft of rules and regulations we need to adhere to (and the shed load of associated paperwork), but it all tends to be guidance rather than prescriptive.

There has always been the argument in the marine industry that there are too many variables to come up with tight prescriptive rules.

There are prescriptive rules, you can only discharge raw sewage over 12 miles from the coast and must be steaming at greater than 4 knots, which in this case the Master may have been in breach of !

I will stop now as this deviates from the thread

heli-mad
1st Feb 2008, 18:31
Just outstanding !!!! Well done to all the aircrew and all people involved.

....U need big "cojonas" to fly in this s*** weather

206Fan
1st Feb 2008, 18:53
Yes very well done indeed by the crews.. :ok:

1st Feb 2008, 20:10
The weather at Felixstowe and Dover is hardly relevant when you are taking a ferry from N Ireland to W Coast UK but when the met forecast shows a zebras ********** with a pressure of 950mb you would think twice before setting sail!!

I know the Valley aircraft was involved and suspect that Prestwick and Waterford or Dublin also responded. ****ty night, good result:)

Adam Nams
2nd Feb 2008, 02:08
Well done to 'Biscuit' and the boys! :ok:

I hope you enjoy the view from your new office. ;)

HAL9000
2nd Feb 2008, 08:37
Have now seen footage of both the Irish Sea ferry and the trawler off St Kilda, hence the title of this post. :eek: It is only courage, flying ability and tenacity of the highest order that gets the job done in those conditions. Any words of praise I can think of seem inadequate.

Still, as the RAF Winchman Rich Taylor who was winched to the ferry said,"I'm not a hero, I was just doing my job.":D

A Chivenor cab took the always difficult decision to not winch on their job SW of the Scillies late last night. Well done to them as well, probably one of the hardest decisions the captain and crew have ever made but winching is, sometimes, just too bl**dy dangerous.

HAL

206Fan
2nd Feb 2008, 13:39
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7223565.stm

More crew rescued by a RN Seaking of the Isles of Scilly!

DeepC
2nd Feb 2008, 13:50
This current weather is showing the utmost bravery and dedication of the crews of the emergency services (helicopters, aeroplanes, lifeboats, and land based assets).

I cannot remember when they have been so busy from south of Fastnet to St Kilda and everywhere in between.

It's good to see they are getting the coverage across the media which these acts deserve and hopefully the public will once again reflect on how fortunate they are to have such professionals keeping watch.

Regards,

DeepC

skyepup
3rd Feb 2008, 09:29
Well done to everyone involved.
Agree ref the weather being forecasted but lets wait to see what the MAIB say.
At the time and place of the incident, it was reported as wind: 48knots. Not that bad really!.

skyepup
3rd Feb 2008, 11:22
Mean speed at 48knots its SGF9, BUT, agree with you, I wouldnt like to be out there.

However, at this time of year, SGF9 is a regular visitor to our coastline (unfortunately.....)

But dont let this look like I`m suggesting it was an easy job for the crew. I respect them everytime they take off, whatever the weather.

Ship Manager
3rd Mar 2009, 11:47
The Riverdance report has not been published yet, but another of their ships had a bit of an incident as well. Report can be found at:-

Marine Accident Investigation: Moondance (http://www.maib.gov.uk/publications/investigation_reports/2009/moondance.cfm)

Don't get the wrong impression of the shipping industry, it's just certain companies haven't quite entered in to the 20th (let alone 21st) century.

will post link when Riverdance report published.

Ship Manager
14th Sep 2009, 18:39
Gents, I can’t imagine many have been waiting with baited breath for this but if you want to read the report in to the stranding of the Riverdance this link should take you there

http://www.maib.gov.uk/publications/investigation_reports/2009/riverdance.cfm (http://www.maib.gov.uk/publications/investigation_reports/2009/riverdance.cfm)

If you don’t have the time to trawl through the whole report a couple of snippits:-

The Master’s decision to sail in the forecast conditions was acceptable.

The MAIB were not allowed access to the wreck and therefore evidence was lost (would the AAIB put up with that?).

The ship had little idea of where ballast water was or the weight of the Cargo they had loaded. (The norm is to do weight and balance checks before you go)

Cargo shift was not a major factor.

No freak waves – only what was to be expected in the area she was operating.

The vessel possibly suffered a loss of stability due to the wave patterns she experienced (in ships transverse stability is critical – we have bags of longitudinal stability).

Bit of a shambles when trying to re float.

I can only hope if you do read the report that this is not indicative of the majority of ship and shipping companies!