PDA

View Full Version : Joker on 121.5

Wing Root
1st Feb 2008, 06:23
Hi all,

Flying happily along on Thursday over central NSW and for the second time I heard a chap on 121.5 that would probably be better off sticking to a UHF CB channel.
The first time I heard him there were some fake Italian accented high pitched comments followed by some Borat recordings. The most recent time it was much the same but Borat was replaced by another recorded quote which I wasn't familiar with.

Anyone know him?

Capt Wally
1st Feb 2008, 06:45
No never heard that accent before but heard plenty of others, mainly airline pilots! Shall keep an ear out for the lattest 'turkey' seeing as the Co. I work for insist on maintaining a listening watch on the general 'chit chat' channel !

CW

Captain Sand Dune
1st Feb 2008, 07:00
Anything like the chat on the Navy common briefing frequency i.e. 243.0?

helopat
1st Feb 2008, 07:26
You're yanking me, right Capt Sand Dune? Absolutely NOT true!

Desert Duck
1st Feb 2008, 08:07
How dare they use the Qantas frequency for idle chat.

Captain Sand Dune
1st Feb 2008, 08:37
You're yanking me, right Capt Sand Dune? Absolutely NOT true!
Wouldn't last 5 minutes if you were a fish mate!
Actually, I did mean the US Navy.....oh and their Air Force are pretty good at gabbing on guard as well.

oldpinger
1st Feb 2008, 09:28
So the idea of
"Kick the tires, light the fires, brief on guard, last one airborne's a p**f" isn't a good thing then?? :ok:

Bugger!!

helopat
1st Feb 2008, 10:12
zzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ (sound of line coming off the reel...FAST)

Yep, got me. Future career as a fish right in the crapper.:E

HP

MakeItHappenCaptain
1st Feb 2008, 11:12
"Kick the tires, light the fires, brief on guard, last one airborne's a p**f" isn't a good thing then??

How 'bout, "Goggles On, Chocks Away, Last one in the plane's a homo! Hooray!"
courtesy Capt Flashart.

Arm out the window
1st Feb 2008, 22:42
"Quick, send the bitch with the wheels or I'll give your wife something to hang her towels on. Woof!"

Dragun
1st Feb 2008, 23:01
121.5 is generally a joke these days. A day doesn't go by where you don't hear some moron treating it like a chat frequency. There is more than one person Wing Root.

Capt Wally
2nd Feb 2008, 01:09
Don't get me started on the amount of chat on 121.5 Mhz................I've missed a few ATC instructions whilst in the TMA from 'others' blurting out their requirements to their home base ! And to top it off some real idiots respond to them by saying 'go ahead' !...........then the goose on the mic spills his guts to all who have to monitor the 'chat freq' Rather than turn down the second com making it a possible dangerous situation latter on a CTAF for Eg. I'll turn it off........ahhh the sounds of silence !

............there feel better now I do, ty........rant over !:bored:

CW

TLAW
2nd Feb 2008, 01:10
This wasn't the same fool jamming the SY RDR frequencies on Thursday morning was it? I initially thought it was someone with a stuck PTT until I heard "wooooo!" and "check one two."

kalavo
2nd Feb 2008, 02:01
There are much better versions out there than this...

http://www.si-tex.com/html/525_vhf_adf_adapter.html

...but would be fun to find the buggars. :)

Brian Abraham
2nd Feb 2008, 02:13
Say again Joker, you were cut out by a mayday.

Poto
2nd Feb 2008, 03:00
Don't get me started on the amount of chat on 121.5 Mhz................I've missed a few ATC instructions whilst in the TMA from 'others' blurting out their requirements to their home base ! And to top it off some real idiots respond to them by saying 'go ahead' !...........then the goose on the mic spills his guts to all who have to monitor the 'chat freq' Rather than turn down the second com making it a possible dangerous situation latter on a CTAF for Eg. I'll turn it off........ahhh the sounds of silence !

Chill out dude! That still cracks me up. Almost as funny as a PA on area:E
Life's too short buddy:ok:

bushy
2nd Feb 2008, 03:03
When I was in England in the 1960's they had VHF D/F in the towers and could tell where the transmission was coming from.
Looks like we have not yet caught up with that technology.
Or maybe we don't want to.

Brian Abraham
2nd Feb 2008, 04:39
VHF D/F in the towers

Used to be the only instrument approach we had if GCA went kaput too.

Capt Wally
2nd Feb 2008, 04:50
'Poto' would love to chill out but being a professional pilot of which I'm proud of I don't see the funny side to missing an important R/T when exactly the same time sloppy airmanship is being performed by so called professionals. Sure no doubt some here see the funny side to it & will continue to bag me but those that take flying in a high workload environment serious (which it should always be) wouldn't. I'm not having a go at you 'Poto' my feelings/comments are directed to those that are simply ignorant. Yr right however life is too short, just that I wish not to shorten it any further just yet by the one in a million chance that a missed R/T will see me not come home for dinner one night!

As`always my thoughts are mine alone, but I'd be surprised if no one else in here thought the same as myself.

CW:)

Whiskey Oscar Golf
2nd Feb 2008, 09:22
Some people have some whizbang DF gear and there is more coming due to the annoying malicious activation of EPIRBs. They will soon be in lots of places and the sorts of people listening have badges, cars and phones for calling people who know who's where in the air.

Beware playful people who use a dedicated emergency channel for clowning, we ARE listening and sometimes tracking. It's annoying and there are other channels you can comedy up without maybe causing everyone to miss something important, possibly causing someone to get hurt or someone not getting help quickly.

Capt Wally
3rd Feb 2008, 07:51
"WOG" sadly clowns will always be in aviation. I do hope that something more constructive can be done to track these fools down as you mentioned here. This type of conversation/thread actracts them, they stick out like a sore thumb by thinking it's smart to clown around!:ugh:

CW

Mr.Buzzy
3rd Feb 2008, 08:24
Calm down Wally,
if the workload in the "TMA" is a bit high for you, then lighten the load like the rest of us and don't monitor 121.5 below 10000'. It's really not that hard and loads of super conshy and ultra professionals like yourself will still be monitoring to save the world on your behalf.

bbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzz

Capt Wally
3rd Feb 2008, 09:19
That's fine Mr Buzzy, I expect such replies, got nothing to do with saving the world, I do that everytime I fly to some degree!
Re read my above post, I think you'll get my meaning as to whom I'm refering to!

CW:=

Delay Approved
3rd Feb 2008, 09:37
It's just basic airmanship. 121.5 is supposed to be a dedicated emergency frequency. If pilots want to talk among themselves or with ops then there are more appropriate frequencies (dedicated ops frequency, 123.45 etc).

Dog One
3rd Feb 2008, 10:21
Its also useful to pass ATC instructions to aircraft who have slipped out of range.