PDA

View Full Version : Beat Cancer, can't beat Transport Canada

flipperflap
1st Feb 2008, 03:25
Hoping for some good advice. I lost my medical when I was diagnosed with Melanoma. Even if my scans are clear they won't let me get it back due to the high prognosis of re-occurrence, and also for the small fact that there is no recognized cure.

If there is a miracle and I am cancer free, can I go else where in the world to obtain a foreign medical and do expat/contract flying?

Any suggestions on what countries to start with. Who would give me a chance? FAA and JAA are not an option.

I am not current but did have an ATPL, 10,000 + hours. PIC on modern multi crewed jet aircraft.

Yes, I am doing well and hope to beat this.

Thanks for any help,

Happy Landings

Carrier
2nd Feb 2008, 17:13
My understanding of Melanoma is that it is a serious skin cancer that, although it MIGHT progress speedily, does not progress at a rate that takes one from being fully functional to incapacitated in a few seconds, like a heart attack. All that would seem to be required is more frequent monitoring by the quack than your regular six monthly medicals – say monthly or even fortnightly. However, such a logical and customer service oriented solution would be beyond the comprehension of TC medical branch.
You might like to look at various jurisdictions in Africa or Asia. I see from another thread that more than half the flight crews in Nigeria work without valid licences. In many countries it’s a case of just pay the bribe and get on with the job. Good luck!

kwachon
2nd Feb 2008, 17:21
Lost my right lung to Squamous Cell Carcinoma (lung cancer) 4 years ago, managed to get my 1st class medical (FAA) back after 18 months with the limitation that I provide a clear brain and chest MRI at every renewal.

Am back flying and having a ball..:}

aussiepax
3rd Feb 2008, 08:27
Wow! I am not an aviation medical examiner, but in general surgical ( or quack as some of you persist with) terms, this sounds just bizarre. If you have no sign of recurrence, I would love to know in what way they think you are a flight risk!!!!!
Even if you had a recurrence, there would be more danger from suicide than illness in flight ( sorry to be blunt about this).

Good luck on this. I would like to see their argument on this disease.

Carrier
3rd Feb 2008, 13:50
Flipperflap, check your PMs.

Aussiepax, this is normal for the Civil Aviation Medicine branch of Transport Canada. As you may have gathered, there are some serious problems there. For one, the Senior Consultant, Clinical Assessment is functionally illiterate in that, based on his own evidence, he is unable to read and UNDERSTAND the contents of a normal business letter or a simple medical report. Over the past three years there have been complaints to Members of Parliament and professional organisations regarding the problems at TC. These problems are still not solved and the complaints are continuing. As a result Canadian pilots face endemic obstruction and incompetence, are unjustly denied the means to earn a living on the basis of their Canadian licences, and are put to considerable trouble and expense if they attempt to stand up for their rights and obtain fair treatment and performance from TC.

gingernut
3rd Feb 2008, 21:02
Flipper, sounds like differnet countries are operating different standards.

But in general surgical (or quack.....)

Aussie, we try and reserve the term "quack" for proper doctors.

Please don't encourage the surgeons, they'll start to get idea's above their station.

aussiepax
4th Feb 2008, 07:26
well, there's the thinkers (physicians , quacks if you will, g - nut) and then there's us doers (surgeons). So when you hit 50, or 60, or 70, and the waterworks are dripping and you need the prostate sorted out, you'll be seeing some of us "above our station" surgeons. Ponder and tremble ye lowly physicians !!!!!!

Regards, the plumber.

gingernut
4th Feb 2008, 11:07
Thanks aussie (I'l try the tablet if it's all the same):ok:

Good health, from a very cold UK.

Mr. Hat
4th Feb 2008, 11:22
Flipperflap, aussie pax is right on the money. These other characters know fcukall about the nuts and bolts and current data/research in a lot of cases. Just arse covering thats costing you the seat that you fought long and hard for.

Go to your surgeon and get him to write a report.

Go to your union and get them to communicate with the authority for you. Union lawyers tend to get quicker responses.

Congratulations on beating melanoma. I'd love to hear the story of the melanoma as it scares the crap out of me!

Good luck.

fernytickles
4th Feb 2008, 12:57
Are you a member of AOPA? I believe they have a very good support system for situations like yours. Worth giving them a call. Even if you are not a member, try asking.

Good luck :ok:

flipperflap
6th Feb 2008, 03:34
Thanks for all your help and well wishing.

You can have all clear from a PET scan, and in a matter of a few months have brain mets from it metastasizing through the Lymphatic system, and unfortunately would mean lights out in a very short time. Yes it starts out as one very curable cancer. However if undetected, 5 to 20 years later, metastatic melanoma. So yes, avoid those nasty sunburns and check those moles.

When they told me there was no cure, but wanted to do surgery that week and start Interferon for 1 year I ended up doing exactly what they strongly advised me not to do...dove into the crazy world of alternative/natural health.
Sold the house, got rid of the new truck, cashed in the retirement savings and spent it all. At one point I was taking 60 vitamins a day, Chinese acupuncture from the best at $150 a pop (He was Doc EGO), Vitamin C IV's, mlm majic stuff on and on. Was I crazy?
Funny thing is that 3 years from my diagnosis I now feel better then I have ever felt in my life, so now I want to mount a case to fight Transport Canada to get back in the air. If I strike out, then I want to go else where if possible.

Getting diagnosed with cancer was the worst day of my life, however it was the best thing that could of ever happened to me. I am healthy now and so is my family from the huge lifestyle changes we had to make.

The Doc's mean well and they are skilled, but they only treat the symptom, they don't cure you. When your body is treated right and given a chance, it will cure its self. I am living proof of that.

triguy
9th Feb 2008, 06:28
Flipperflap,

I also was diagnosed with Melanoma, but have since successfully renewed my TC medical. I was diagnosed with MM, secondary site, unknown primary site, in Jul 2002. After the surgery, and follow up tests: head MRI, abdominal CT scans, lung xrays and blood tests, there was no sign of any mets, thus I didn't do any other follow-on treatments. I was in the Canadian Forces at the time, and their Doctors grounded me for about 18 months, pending the results of the above mentioned tests.

I applied for my TC medical in the Spring of 2006 (4 years after diagnosis). After my doctor forwarded copious amounts of medical paperwork, I received my Class 1 medical without any restrictions. I have since left the Air Force and fly offshore helicopters with CHC Global.

I'm very healthy and fit (proud Ironman Canada finisher 2006) with no evidence of disease.

I think both the FAA and CAA have procedures in place for approving medicals after a melanoma diagnosis, as long as specific diagnostic tests are completed. I believe the details can be found if you dig around their websites. That might give you some more ammo for TC.

All the best,

Triguy

flipperflap
9th Feb 2008, 20:28
Thanks Triguy. Check your PM's