PDA

View Full Version : BBC iPlayer

MightyGem
1st Feb 2008, 01:48
Anyone have much success with this? I continually get the message: "Something went wrong. There seems to be a problem playing this video, try again later"

DeepC
1st Feb 2008, 06:37
I've had a lot of success with IPlayer. It's been down a couple of times last week and I haven't played with it this week.

Great to be able to sort by category, select music and enjoy BBC4's random concerts etc.

I believe there is a fair amount of documentation available on the IPlayer site and the bbc forums might shed some light.

Regards,

DeepC

green granite
1st Feb 2008, 07:55
I've tried re-installing it on my new desk top (the old one just went slower and slower using it because of anti virus software) so far I can't get past the "the adobe flash player installed is too old" message on install despite doing all the things they suggest to get round it. Mind you I'm not trying very hard.

MightyGem
1st Feb 2008, 19:23
You don't have to install it, just go to the website:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

Or are you talking about the download facility?

HuntandFish
4th Feb 2008, 14:30
I installed it . It works fine under Vista .
Annoying the way it deletes downloads after a few days . Anyone know if there is a way round the delete ?

BigEndBob
4th Feb 2008, 20:24
BBC iPlayer...yess..how to make the unmissable...missable!

Well Travelled Nav
8th Feb 2008, 06:09
Be very careful with iPlayer or SKY Anytime as they both use Kontiki peer-peer file sharing software. This mean that your PC is used to supply any downloaded programme to any other iplayer user who wants to download the file.

This slows down you internet connection and uses PC memory and proccessor resources.

If you really need to use iplayer, use a firewall and specify that Kontiki only gets internet access when you let it, or when the firewall is shut down.

WTN

BigEndBob
8th Feb 2008, 06:38
Yes that does seem to be the downside of the iPlayer, why can't they have a system like Rapidshare, where a 700mb file, which is decent quality video and downloads in half hour or less.

I have the problem that says i need flash player, when i already have it installed?

Andy Rylance
8th Feb 2008, 11:13
Yes I also notice that BBC Iplayer asks you to allow it to use your bandwidth and become a peer to peer supplier - thereby as soon as your download has finished it kicks in and streams the stuff out to other watchers.

I am sure internet providers have terms and conditions for being a peer to peer user, and if you are on a limited data allowance package, well.. expect there to be complaints very soon that they "didn't know" what that tick box meant...!