PDA

View Full Version : Smoke on the apron.

sailor
31st Jan 2008, 16:23
I would have posted this on JB were it not such a serious issue.

Reported in today's Cyprus Mail:-

2 pax about to board a Eurocypria flight get off the bus and decide they have got time for a fag,and light up next to their recently refuelled aircraft. Conscientious ground eng. spots this and tells them to desist. They refuse, so he grabs both cigs and grinds them out. He is now being sued for assault, one miscreant says he has a relative in the police higher echelons and police and airport authority are taking no action against the 2 criminals. The Captain rightly refused to allow them to board the flight.
Cyprus is a quite-recently joined member of the EU, but this sort of thing makes one wonder when some of its citizens will start acting accordingly!

airman13
31st Jan 2008, 16:34
Good job for the captain involved in !

TheOddOne
31st Jan 2008, 16:35
Cyprus is a quite-recently joined member of the EU, but this sort of thing makes one wonder when some of its citizens will start acting accordingly!

What's to say these types were Cypriot citizens? More likely to be UK subjects, or am I being just as judgemental?

Anyway, fair play to the engineers, hope they get due credit for their actions. Pax seem to have been rightly 'punished' so matter should be left to rest, with a warning to others.

We used to have endless bother during tip-outs on to the Apron due false alarms from the Terminal buildings with people lighting up, fag in one hand and pint in the other (all at 0730 - how can people drink beer at that hour?)

TheOddOne

Alwaysairbus
31st Jan 2008, 16:57
Sure the 2 weren't crew having a sly cig on turnround??

AltFlaps
31st Jan 2008, 17:21
About a year ago we were boarding pax in Aberdeen (which included about 2 dozen scrots from a stag do).

Several of them lit up between the apron door and the aircraft steps (about 20 feet away).

I ended up opening the DV window and literally screaming at them to put them out - even then they were reluctant.

The rest of the passengers apparently thought I was being a little bit harsh shouting at the poor young chaps !!

lexxity
31st Jan 2008, 19:01
He is now being sued for assault, one miscreant says he has a relative in the police higher echelons and police and airport authority are taking no action against the 2 criminals. The Captain rightly refused to allow them to board the flight.

Good christ! It's a bloody good job that I wasn't locked up for the time I literally slapped a cig out of some scrotes gob after he told me to eff off for smoking under a wing after repeated requests for him to desist! Good on the Captain of the flight, made totally the right call if you ask me.

Departures Beckham
1st Feb 2008, 06:50
Since the smoking ban came into effect in England & Wales, have any airports made any attempts to post signs on the ramp advising pax not to smoke?

It wouldn't be difficult (or expensive) to paint a no smoking sign on the ramp, perhaps close to the exit from the building or close to the aircraft steps. Or have any handling agents posted signs on the side of their steps?

Lord Lucan
1st Feb 2008, 10:07
I don’t smoke and don’t like breathing other peoples. And I would fully support the captain here.

But I have certainly often enough watched experienced flight crew and engineers doing exactly the same thing, so it presumably is not really that dangerous. Let’s face it, you can put out a cigarette by throwing in into a pool of jet fuel, and you couldn’t light that same pool with a lighter without using something as a wick.