PDA

View Full Version : yet another "Help me I want to be a Aircraft Engineer thread!! (sorry...)

cessnasey
31st Jan 2008, 15:16
Ok, here goes.

First of all thanks for taking time to click on this thread, As im sure many of you old time ppruners are getting bored with similar question regarding entry in the aircraft engineering field. However...

I believe every case is an indavidual case and having read through the archives, there seem to be many mixed opinions on this subject.

i am 26 years old, having owned my own drycleaning business for the past 5 years, i now feel i am financialy stable enough to chase that dream of becoming a licenced aircraft engineer. I would have done this years ago, however, i was told to avoid it as i am red/green color blind and that my chances were slim, but with further investigation i have found that there is no such rule and perfect color vision is not a factor to stop me so...

i am currently doing a-levels. after completing this, my plan is to do the foundation degree at kingston university which is an EASA approved course and needs a furhter 2 year work experience before the licence is valid. my question to you experienced engineers is..

1. Is it really necessary to chase a degree? Would i be able to get work and self study (leading to a licence) after finishing my A-levels??

2. In youre experience in the trade, do you think my slight color vision will effect me career as an LAE? Ifso, how?

3. how hard at the age of 30 will it be for me to find a job and get experienced having just come out of kingston?

thanks you in advance for any input you may have in this thread.:ok:

seyhan

Vortechs Jenerator
31st Jan 2008, 15:47
1. Is it really necessary to chase a degree?As has been covered many times, definitely not.

Would i be able to get work and self study (leading to a license) after finishing my A-levels??Yes.

2. In youre experience in the trade, do you think my slight color vision will effect me career as an LAE? Ifso, how?No, all the wiring on an Aircraft is white, give or take. It's identified by printed coding if that's what you've been thinking.

I have had colleagues with severe red/green deficiency, you may never hold an airfield driving permit (red green signals from tower!) but you can hold an AMEL.

You may struggle with Cyan/Green/red legends on modern EICAS indications but the text is there to help

3. how hard at the age of 30 will it be for me to find a job and get experienced having just come out of kingston?If you have a license, someone will offer you type training or the required time as a fitter to gain certification I'm sure.

It's the experience that's difficult to come by once the exams have been past.

This industry has, historically been ****e at paying for training courses IMO.

It's only very recently I've started seeing regular jobs advertised where type training will be given to license holders (indicating they are getting more desperate for staff).