PDA

View Full Version : Kulula birdstrike! Everyone safe?

MidmarMile
31st Jan 2008, 13:42
Saw the birdstrike of a Kulula flight from DBN to CPTcovered on E-news last night.

When the reporter said that "Everyone returned to the ground safely", my 8 year old son immediately retorted....

"Well ..............not the bird! It went Brrrrrrrrrrrr"

To which our family collapsed in laughter.

:):):)

Juliet Sierra Papa
31st Jan 2008, 19:18
I read in the press that this "Bird strike" was approx 15 mins into the flight. Is that possible? Could a bird be flying at such an altitude or was this 15 mins timed from pushback? :confused: :confused:

mactheknife
31st Jan 2008, 22:17
It would be a special Kulula bird that lived a high flying life and could swim too!

Bird strike 15mins after takeoff - mmmmm......

15mins after takeoff to return - would that be enuf time to burn up sufficient fuel to get below max landing weight?

Shrike200
1st Feb 2008, 02:50
Bonus Myth – Bird strikes never occur at high altitudes.
Fact – It is true that most strikes occur in the airport environment. About 41% of reported strikes with civil aircraft in USA occur while the aircraft is on the ground during take-off or landing and about 75% of strikes occur at less than 500 feet above ground level (AGL). However, over 1,300 strikes involving civil aircraft at heights above 5,000 feet AGL were reported from 1990-2003. The world height record for a strike is 37,000 feet.

That bird deserved a medal (as opposed to getting splattered all over an aircraft...)

Deanw
1st Feb 2008, 09:25
I believe the birdstrike occured at Vr and the aircraft then "flew about for about an hour to burn off fuel to get aerie down to landing weight".