PDA

View Full Version : Prep for a good CV!!

markstevens
31st Jan 2008, 13:41
Hey people!

Are there any experienced pilots here or maybe Chief Pilots who have experience recruiting that I can ask some questions on my CV?

Many thanks,

Mark

BelArgUSA
31st Jan 2008, 15:25
Hola Mark -
xxx
I am pilot training manager with my air carrier...
Further, as such, and when not flying or teaching, they ask me to sit at interviews.
Anytime HR get a cover letter and C.V. in English, they generally drop them on my desk...
So - you can ask my opinion, I have seen thousands of C.Vs...
And I can describe which ones I like, and which ones end in my "circular file" -
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

Localiser Green
31st Jan 2008, 17:19
If you have not seen it already, this link might help: CV WRITING (http://www.oxfordaviation.net/cdev_cvwriting.htm)

BelArgUSA
2nd Feb 2008, 23:39
Thank you for the few of you, who sent me a CV.
xxx
When you send a CV to an airline, it is generally sent to two "quite different" types of channels (or departments) - It can be sent to the dreaded "HR - Human Resources" - we pilots, you and me, do not speak their language. These people in HR have no idea what an airplane is. They could work in HR of the banking industry, or insurance companies. Some never set foot inside a plane. For them, pilots are overpaid kids who think they are God.
xxx
Most if not all of you, have CVs that fit these kind of HR "experts". They look at details pilots do not care or worry about. They look at your education and schooling, they dont know much about much about licences and qualifications. They look at age, marital status, place of residence, then generate (at times) a "personalized answer" to say "thank you" (if they ever do). Then your CV (hopefully) ends on a desk of a pilot in charge of selections for a possible interview and assessment... a pile of 200 CVs, some of 3 or 4 overwhelming pages.
Most of your CVs are fit for "HR" departments... not for a "chief pilot"...
xxx
So whenever possible, send your CV to "Chief Pilot" or "Director of Flight Operations"
Get the office mail address (email) of such people. Generally it is not at the airport.
Do not send it to "Attn.: Human Resources"... You want the "good people" to entrust your CV to -
Not these clowns.
xxx
The chief pilot (generally the assistant) or his secretary, or a chief instructor or pilot manager, are generally doing that job, with a yellow "highlighter" in hand to get the information needed. We wish all was on 1 page (one) of the essential "aviation" background, as follows...
xxx
Essential pilot data we need to know -
(1) Name and address (how far do you live) - email, phone etc.
(2) Age and nationality (can we hire you with your age and passport) -
(3) Licences held and airplane qualifications - Type of aircraft -
(4) Pilot experience (lightplanes or heavier) hours as PIC and SIC -
(5) Employment record (IF aviation) -
xxx
Many HR departments will send you an "Application Form" where THEN you have to list certain details of your CV. such as detailed schooling and grades, employment history including jobs unrelated to aviation, references, hobbies and interests, availability etc... and yes, it will include questions about aviation experience, licences and qualifications.
xxx
I personally select applicants based on the 5 subjects listed above. I personally dont care which FTO or Air College you went to, I am just interessed in your licence, and how many hours you have. I need to know your age, as we may have guidelines (minimum/maximum), and like to know if you have a current passport (immediately able to travel). The passport tells us also if we can employ you in our country. As an example, a UK passport or nationality does not qualify for employment in Argentina, but if you are permanent resident of Argentina (have a "DNI") or reside legally in a Mercosur country, you can be considered.
xxx
Suggestions for the 1 (one) page CV -
One page is meant to say "keep it short". Many of you reduce the size of the print and fonts, to "cram" 3 pages worth of data on that page... Please DONT. Fact is - even at the end of my career now, I can write a one page CV describing 23,000 hrs of experience and nearly 40 years around airplanes.
xxx
Put your name and address under the title (i.e. Pilot CV... + name) -
One phone contact... best is your mobile phone.
Know that the secretary who will call you may not know that 44 is country code for UK.
She might not know that she does not need to dial the (0) you list in front.
So, for a CV you send overseas, write your number (UK) +44 7940 123 456
Include the important email address...
xxx
Dates - lots of confusion with European and USA format...
Europeans write dates DD/MM/YY... Americans do MM/DD/YY...
So if I read 12/01/75 - I might understand 12 JAN 1975... or DEC 01, 1975.
Suggest then you write the "month" in 3 letters "JAN" or "DEC"...
xxx
If you send a CV i.e. to France or Germany, and studied these languages in school (or speak fluently) - that should be indicated. As an example, in Argentina, we require all applicants to be fluent in Spanish.
Licences and aircraft qualifications-
Country of issue... i.e. UK (include JAR as appropriate) -
Remember, airline people dont know a C-152 or C-172. Just write "Single Engine below 5,700 kg" -
If twin engine aircraft, write "Multi Engine below 5,700 kg" - Type irrelevant.
If aircraft type rating, i.e. B-737, specify qualified P1 or P2...
Solo time, P1, PIC etc... go together - Dual, P2, SIC can fit together as well.
Indicate if 1st Class Medical is current. No date needed - just "current"...
xxx
Aviation employment record -
Last one first (dates) - aircraft type flown, and position.
If never employed in aviation before, list FTO / pilot training
List then non-aviation employment, just your job specialty or activities (one line please) -
xxx
Bottom of page-
The mention "available immediately, worldwide" is recommended.
End the page with the mention "Personal references available upon request"
xxx
Any questions, please PM me if of personal nature.
All the best of luck to all of you - there ARE jobs available.
:)
Happy contrails

PyroTek
3rd Feb 2008, 00:33
BelArgUSA, that guide was extremely helpful, with more than just CV's for airlines, i'm just beginning my training and i shall use that guide for if/when i do eventually apply for an airline

thankyou Very much!! :D

elac2
3rd Feb 2008, 07:18
Good stuff from BelArgUSA. Just to back him up on one point which is most important. ONE page only and do not do it with small font. As he said he has many hours and years behind him and can still fit it on ONE page!!!! I do not have quite the experience but i can do the same on ONE page!!

elac2

BelArgUSA
4th Feb 2008, 08:02
For many of you...
xxx
Do not indicate private data on your CVs... such as...
Passport numbers and dates of issue/expiry - Just say "current German (EU) passport" -
National insurance numbers (for UK nationals) -
Carte d'Identité (France) -
Social security numbers (for Americans) -
DNI - Documento Nacional de Identidad (Argentina) -
xxx
I watch TV... and hear about "identity theft", as a new sport in the world.
Osama wants your passport number.
Eventually, when hired, you will have to give all that info, to your dear "HR"...
But until then, it is privileged information, ok...?
xxx
Oh, I also forget -
Please send me your Visa card number, date of expiry, and 4 number code on reverse side.
xxx
:suspect:
Happy contrails