PDA

View Full Version : Idiot moderators........

Flybywyre
31st Jan 2008, 12:01
Anyone else had problems with mods playing god ?
If a mod has a problem with a post at least have the balls to contact me and let me know why

nosefirsteverytime
31st Jan 2008, 12:26
Sorry fly.

Mods are God here.

No like-y, tough shenanigans.

That's the way most internet forums work.

I don't see this thread lasting long.

BRL
31st Jan 2008, 12:55
Idiot Moderators............ Do you expect a fair answer after calling us idiots?

So, let us have a look at this....

What was the post about, when was it removed (and are you sure the original poster has not deleted it,) how long ago was it moved?

Have you given the mod chance to reply bearing in mind mods have other things to do as well, I have in the past, moved a thread literally on my way out to work and not told the poster why until I have returned.

Not one of them has thrown their toys out of the pram as yet...

So, take a deep breath and give us a bit more info....

liam548
31st Jan 2008, 13:30
I've been a mod for several years on a busy internet forum. It aint easy..

frostbite
31st Jan 2008, 14:26
Likewise. Mod elsewhere on a not so busy forum so I usually explain any decisions.

Mind you, 'signature' stresses that no further discussion will be permitted!

Flybywyre
31st Jan 2008, 15:24
OK...................
Late last night I posted a reply, not rude, in the "Vista/Norton conflict" thread.
This morning it wasn't there so I assumed that I had made a mistake and did not post it properly. So I posted it again this morning.
Within about 10 minutes the post had been removed and I received an anonymous message going something like " you are trying my patience. I have banned you from this thread for one week"
WHAT IS ALL THAT ABOUT ?
I wasn't rude and I did not have a go at anybody. I simply expressed an opinion about internet security that this mod did not agree with. I still hold with what I said and to be banned for expressing an opinion is outrageous.
It did wind me up hence the title of the new thread, if I am going to get banned then lets make it worthwhile.
As it happens the mods on here are normally more than accommodating.
Where did you get this one from :confused:
Regards
FBW

BRL
31st Jan 2008, 16:22
Ok, I don't think you will be banned for calling us idiots although it is not nice to read after all the work we put in....

Anyhow, have you emailed the mod to ask why and what the problem is?

dazdaz
31st Jan 2008, 17:17
Fly
Don't worry dear boy, more than likely it was Danny I heard he gets really low after loosing a round of golf:eek:

In my opinion, recon the mods do a great job on here, as stated above most have other jobs apart from their services on this forum.

Ps. Has Rainbow been banned? He's not posted for ages.

Saab Dastard
31st Jan 2008, 17:47
Flybywyre,

If you are going to complain about not receiving explanations, the least you can do is read your PMs.

SD

Jetdriver
31st Jan 2008, 17:53
Anyone else had problems with mods playing god ?
If a mod has a problem with a post at least have the balls to contact me and let me know why

Who cares ?

Between the vast amount of time my employer demands to keep me in the lifestyle to which I have become accustomed, and the demands of my family including 4 teenage children, and all the other things in my life. I (like many of the others who do this) still find time to devote many hours a week helping to keep these various forums in some sense of order.

Most of what is removed or edited can be of little surprise or bewilderment to the author, because it is in obvious violation of the rules they signed up to. Indeed 90% is the removal of blatant advertising spam and similiar detrius. Most of the rest is simply matching the right post with the right forum. In fact very little content is borderline or controversial. Nevertheless in the case of the latter, there might be a referral to other administrators or moderators for a second opinion. Sometimes an email or message to the author might occur.

It doesn't take "balls" to contact you or anybody else, it takes time. That is often in very short supply, and for the reasons already given, sometimes pointless in any event.

If somebody does contact me to ask a question, I will always take the time (at some reasonable point), to reply.

There are many of us on here, and we all have different personalities and degrees of methodology. A lot of us have been doing it for 10 years or more, often with little fanfare. Sometimes we disagree with each other, but we all try to keep the site operating in a way that frees it of some of the wilder nonsense that can be readily found elsewhere. If you don't like it, you are free to criticise, comment or set up your own site elsewhere. We don't get everything right, and we certainly make mistakes from time to time. However one thing I am quite sure about is that nobody who moderates this site falls into the category of "idiot".

If you still believe they do, well as I say, who cares ?

carholme
31st Jan 2008, 18:40
To the moderators;

And so you should not have to put up with any nonsense. It is probably a thankless job and in using the forum, most of us proably never give a thought to thanking the mods for their efforts.

If someone feels that their computer question on an aviation forum is so terribly important, maybe it is time to seek the advice of many of the computer discussion forums which abound on the internet. They probably don't rush to answer aircraft questions as a priority either, especially impolite demands about how important your questions are.

Good effort mods, I am sure it must be trying at times.

Regards

carholme

Flybywyre
31st Jan 2008, 18:59
The mod in question has now PM'd me and made the following comment
I deleted your posts both on factual grounds and for the offensive tone
Really ?
They were neither, how about posting them here for everyone to see and we can then make our own judgement.

On the subject of being factual you also said.......
AV is a mandatory component of every PC

Complete rubbish. In what piece of legislation is that laid down ?

Never before have I heard of a mod pulling a post because he does not agree with it.
I apologise to the other mods who were offended by the title of this thread, most of you do a great job and I for one appreciate the time and effort you put in to keep things going.
I will be making no further comment on this thread so if anyone wants to ask me a question then please PM me.
Regards
FBW

Parapunter
31st Jan 2008, 19:21
You know, arguing on the internet is a bit like wetting your pants. It may feel nice and warm for a few seconds, but before long, anyone looking on will be drawing conclusions about you...:ugh:

Saab Dastard
31st Jan 2008, 19:45
A misunderstanding escalated to a temporary ban.

The ban is for the intolerable rudeness, nothing to do with the original post.

SD

Parapunter
31st Jan 2008, 19:54
FWIW CII&T is a room that I find life affirming - it's one of the few places on Pprune where people trip over one another to help, and IMHO, there's a very light hand on the tiller.

hellsbrink
31st Jan 2008, 20:24
Well, fbw, my reply to your post was deleted too but you don't hear me whining.

I wasn't happy at being told I was someone who had basically been brainwashed by the software industry into using things like personal firewalls and antispyware, but I didn't whine about that either. And a "properly configured router" will never prevent an attack on your system if you are the one who goes to a site and downloads a naughty (whether by accident or intent), you'll still get hit.

So ya were wrong, and you were a tad offensive. Sorry

(Apologies to mods, didn't want to say anything but since the deleted post was aimed at me I felt I had to make things a bit clearer for others)

Keef
31st Jan 2008, 22:10
As a moderator in some other places, I have to say it's often a thankless task. Fortunately, there are a few folks who realise what's involved and have some respect, too.

I've been called an idiot, even had hate campaigns. Fortunately, it's water off a duck ("I've been insulted by better than you" or "Is that the best insult you can come up with? Pathetic!").

But idiots the mods are not. Disagreeing with someone doesn't make that person an idiot. Calling a mod an idiot is an invitation to that mod to press a certain button.

When you think that most mods do it for free, as a contribution to the community, insulting them is a bit "off".

PPRuNe Pop
31st Jan 2008, 22:20
And you might care to note, if I may be so bold. Yeah why not I'm allowed! :ok:

That a PM is a PM is a PM! All or parts thereof are considered very bad form to be repeated in open forum. It is a method of saying something private. It doesn't say anywhere that it should be nicey nice nice. If anyone does something considered amiss then it is much better to say so in private than to expose 'you' in open forum. That is what SD was trying to do.

The proof, if it was needed, is that when you open a can of worms some get out. I am sure you see the point.

We can't always be right but we do give it a damn good go.

Have a good weekend.

PPP

Saab Dastard
31st Jan 2008, 23:50
Hellsbrink,

Well, fbw, my reply to your post was deleted too but you don't hear me whining.

Believe me I did not delete it! On the thread, there are 3 posts after your post #5, all from Flybywyre (or aliases), all deleted by me. There are no other posts on that thread visible to me.

Sorry - if your post was deleted, it was deleted by "the system", possibly as it was in response to a deleted post.

Perhaps this is a case of collateral damage!

Apologies to mods, didn't want to say anything but since the deleted post was aimed at me I felt I had to make things a bit clearer for others

No need to apologise - quite the contrary. I would not like you to feel that you could not reply to an offensive post from another - though there is a certain irony in the thought that my deleting the offending post perhaps resulted in your response also being deleted!

SD

hellsbrink
1st Feb 2008, 07:16
Perhaps this is a case of collateral damage!

Friendly Fire?

gingernut
1st Feb 2008, 08:39
In my mispent yoof , I remember once heckling Bernard Manning,

"Listen son, you'll never :mad: in, I'm the one with the Mike....."

He was A1 spot on.

I spend a bit of time on the med&health forum, must admit, if I post something controversial, it's usually my peers that pull me up, not the mods.