PDA

View Full Version : Working in UAE

LeeVanCleef
31st Jan 2008, 08:32
Hi all, gona ask for some info again.

One of my aspirations once i have sucsessfully left the RAF i wish to work out in Dubai or Abu Dhabi, Ive scoured the internet for jobs that would be suited to me ( Ex-RAF non licenced Avionics) but im not having much luck.
As i have stated before i do intend on gaining my B2, however i would like to get a foot in the door so to speak, whilst i study for my licence.

If anyone could give me some info on who to speak to? recruiters to contact ect i would be muchly greatfull.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can direct me

LVC

Jet II
31st Jan 2008, 17:25
If you dont have a B2 Licence with types then I suggest you give the Gulf a miss for now. As an unlicenced mechanic you will be on very low pay - most of the unlicenced guys are from the Subcontinent and as such the airlines get away with paying peanuts.

Advice is to get your licence and some suitable type ratings (A320 & A330 are both popular) and then give the gulf a try - even then you will not be paid any more than you would in Europe.

LeeVanCleef
31st Jan 2008, 17:40
The money isnt an issue as far as im concernd, to work out there id be prepared to take a wage cut, obviously not too excessive, its just somewhere i want to go and work.

Jet II
1st Feb 2008, 16:42
If you just want to experience the 'lifestyle' then try contracting - if you go permanent then your wages will definitely be cut. Pay rates for unlicenced mechanics are around £1000 a month and housing will generally not be provided by the company - housing costs are high, 1 bed flat goes for about £800 a month.

The subcontinent mechanics tend to just rent a room in a shared flat - not something I would recommend.

If you are still set on trying it out check out Line Up as they are recruiting direct for Bahrain and that has the cheapest accommodation costs.

A Bunker
24th Feb 2008, 06:33
Hi guys,

What would be an acceptable wage for a B1 in the gulf taking into consideration the US$ link of the local currency?

Married,with two teenage kids. your thoughts

Archie

Vortechs Jenerator
24th Feb 2008, 08:30
An "acceptable" wage is surely up to you to decide?

I worked in the UAE around 10 years ago and the wage was very mediocre then but the lifestyle was good and I was single and enjoying the social side of life.

I thought about going back there a few years ago but wages hadn't risen atall then (think they may have a little now).

Mrats was only paying about £27K at the time where a similar UK firm was nearing the £40K for same/same type work.

The trouble would always appear when trying to move back if you hadn't kept a house etc as you would be getting poorer every year.

Asia seems to supply the Middle East with an inexhaustible supply of LAE who can work for lower wages. I couldn't live in Abu Dhabi for what GAMCO were paying when I inquired 6 months ago.

Jet II
25th Feb 2008, 04:23
What would be an acceptable wage for a B1 in the gulf

Acceptable to who?

Most big companies pay the same give or take - Gulf Ar and Qatar pay the best but the others are not that far behind. All pay around 20,000 AED a month ($5500 US)

The big issue is accommodation - it s very expensive. Unless the company supplies (and pays for fully) the sort of accommodation you are looking for (and I assume with 2 kids you want a villa) then be very careful of taking any job out here.

I know several guys who are topping up their rent out of basic salary as the company allowance doesn't go far enough to get them the type (and quality) of place they want.

Salusa
25th Feb 2008, 07:31
LVC

Abu Dhabi Aviation pays a very respectable salary for non-licensed eng's. When I was there last they had plenty of ex-pat A&C, Avionics, Safety Equipment guys etc...

It will be mainly helicopter work on tours 56/28, with some time offshore (but only A&C guys had to do OS work)

Accommodation is included but is not that great.

Just Google Abu Dhabi Aviation for web. I think they have an online application procedure.

I had no complaints during the time I was with them.

Good Luck!

rampstalker
25th Feb 2008, 23:41
I read with interest the posts regarding pay and conditions. The quote of all around 20.000 AED per month more or less sounds too good to be true for the wanabe in the UK and Oz thinking of a transfer to paradise sand land.
Lets put all things out onto the table here.
PAY HAS NOT INCREASED IN LINE WITH OUTSIDE COSTS certainly in the UAE during the past 4 years. Some operations in the UAE have not had a raise for 13/14 years with the exception of a contractural increment raise.
Housing has shot up the past 3 years and the allowance will not cover it, same story for your kids education.
Inflation is up more than is published by the Government, your food bill will rise week by week even taking into account you cutting out some luxury items.
Car insurance is cheaper, but dont expect the same service as back home. if you can be ripped off then you will be. You are a white man on a big salary so you will be fair game by the shop staff/insurance office/service center in fact where ever you go.
Driving is a total night mare, traffic woes back home DO NOT COMPARE, no one understands the concept of give way or que. Road junctions or supermarket check outs, all the same story.
AND at the end of the day when you decide to call a halt and go back home you will be ripped off from all directions. From selling your car/furniture to trying to get your just dues from your employer.
So in short, if you do want to work in the sand pit, dont consider it unles you are willing to pay out over the odds from your own pocket to live, have no intention of buying a car (buy a clunker and bin it when you go). However if you are lucky and have the right pull then try for senior positions as then you can be in a position to give yourself promotions/payrises and even skim a few mill here and there.

AVOdriver
27th Feb 2008, 17:37
I'll second rampstalkers post. Recently invited to an interview with a "prestigious" operator and the offer was inline with the bottom end of the market in UK after tax! Pretty much all "extras" ie housing, schooling etc. were the bare minimum.
Having done a considerable amount of web based research figures of between 10% and 13% inflation with Dubai rivalling Geneva in terms of cost of accommodation.
Anyone considering it needs to be sure of their motivations and do your research very thoroughly!

ericferret
28th Feb 2008, 11:26
A job with the Kuwaiti police flight was paying about £40,000 p.a tax free, accomodation included, 9 weeks on 3 off.

They had problems filling the posts as people didn't like the roster.

POKEYPILOT
29th Feb 2008, 11:57
Virtual Human Resources have the main contracts out there. If you want to work out in the UAE on contract, contact V-hr they have Licensed engineers out there and also a bunch of line mechanics. There number is 00442075007980.

I understand from making enquiries they provide accommodation and flights and some of there contractors also taking perm jobs so both options seem to be open.

I personnally would take a contract job see what it is like and if you want to make a long term commitment then go for a permanent job. Unfortunately it doesnt work the other way round if you take a permy job they never seem to let you leave and come back contracting (well not often).

Failing the above you could always go to Alsalam eeek and see a few public executions!!!:mad:

POKEYPILOT
29th Feb 2008, 15:13
I stand corrected only passing on what I had heard:bored:. Anyways I know there are a few out there so thought it maybe an option for you witohut losing too much cash!!

hot 'n dusty
9th Mar 2008, 12:46
Greetings
If you're still interested in coming to the UAE then Try Abu Dhabi Aviation. www.adaviation.ae (http://www.adaviation.ae)

We're all expats here and work contract 8weeks on/4weeks off..airfares back and forth paid for by the company.. very basic Single accom provided.

Bell 212/412 AW139 helicopters and Dash8 Fixed wing time will count a lot in your favour but not critical if you don't....you get a lot of experience fast there!

Pay's not bad (DHS29000---about $7500) per month as a licenced Engineer/Avion. the only thing that's killing the UK guys and the Canadians at this stage is the Exchange rate!!!:eek:

A non licenced Engineer gets a fair bit less but you can study the Local Modules and work your way up the ladder...most of us did it!(the UAE exams are crappy tho)

Good Luck

JETZ Tech
21st Mar 2008, 13:54
Thanks for taking the time to answer this question. But, does that 29,000DHS cover all your living expenses or is the company housing fully covered by them? How about the transportation to and from work? etc.

Bus429
24th Mar 2008, 09:24
I spent some time in Dubai in the early 90s. The earlier comment about rip-off on departure is very relevant. Regarding salary, I made much more back in the UK, even with tax (don't forget our excessive tax does at least pay for education and health). The organisation I worked for in Dubai was stuffed full of poor ex-pat managers whose main job seemed to be persecuting maintenance engineers for perceived or minor infractions (apparently, nothing has changed in this regard!).

I have visited Dubai several times since then, most recently in June last year. It does nothing for me: crowded, expensive and the traffic makes the UK's roads seem like racing tracks. Long time ex-pats with whom I met during the last visit said the lustre has gone and they were working out the last contracts.

As for trying to work there unlicensed: don't even consider it. You'll never make it pay and more relevant experience can be obtained in the UK. I've been an ex-pat several times, both as a yoof with a peripatetic father and professionally as an AME. IMHO, the UK is still a good place for aviation and you would do well getting your B2 ticket here.
Regardless of what you decide - but consider the advice you asked for - good luck.:ok:

FIMbar the Furious
27th Mar 2008, 07:17
I would say get your B2 before you do anything, can you do some modules before you leave the RAF. If you think about basic logistics of it , how are you going to get back to do exams regularly. Do the EASA B2 and not a local licence as they are not as portable. Watch out for local type training as well. If its not EASA 147 approved its worthless back in Europe.

Still a few far east jobs that will only take EASA licences from certain member states as well.

Eng AW139
28th Mar 2008, 05:01
The will cover up to 600.00 Durhams per month for food.

Travel to and from work is a company bus system.

Travel downtown is provided 3 times daily.

Medical is now covered by the company (Now a UAE rule). No Dental.

Company will provide type training on the AW139/PT6C-67C in house GCAA approved only and you would have to sign a bond for 2 years.

Those with a type 2 ICAO license with more than 5 years will have to write the local air reg's within the 6 month.

If you have a type 2 ICAO license with less than 5 years you will have too write all 5 exams.

Company will pay for your first 2 sitting for the exams if you fail again you must pay to rewrite 200.00 per sitting.

The company has had a wage increase this year to help with the exchange rate. But touring you are not too effected by the cost of living as if you were living downtown.:rolleyes:

LeeVanCleef
5th Jun 2008, 14:58
Hey guys been a while as ive been in the sand pit doing my bit for Queen and country. Thanks very much for the advice. Positive or negative, i needed to see from all sides so cheers

LVC

jb1191982
8th Jun 2008, 21:59
Does anybody know about working for EK and the pay. Thanx.

Horrible
9th Jun 2008, 23:06
Having recently spent a couple of years in the UAE I would not lightly recommend taking a position anywhere there as an unlicenced engineer coming out of Europe, the salary level for a mechanic vs cost of living is just too low. As stated above, the bulk of these guys are from Pakistan/India/Philippines (no disrespect to them, many are damn good mechanics and work very hard) but most live there on a shared basis or have been established there for many years. On the flip side you can work your way up through the GCAA exams and eventually type courses to an engineer level but this usually takes a long time. Probably one of the big pluses with an outfit like EY is that the company growth does offer relatively secure employment and the opportunity to develop yourself if you are keen.
Salary package for an engineer is around Dhs20,000 per month, includes company apartment (some ok some crappy) or the option of taking an allowance (approx Dhs10,000 per month, this will get you a 1 or 2 bedroom flat.........villas or houses start at about Dhs15,000 pm for more distant locations and then go through the ceiling). To give you an idea of costs, my old (small) villa went from Dhs10,000pm to Dhs20,000pm after I moved out. LAEs simply can't afford properties at those prices.
Schooling is very expensive but the big companies take care of most of that cost, last time I checked the 1st year of secondary school was about Dhs45 to 50k per year. About 5k will come out of your pocket.
Traffic? don't even get me started......you will be stressed out by the time you actually make it to work!!!
Overall an interesting place and a valuable experience, I have no regrets about spending time there but don't plan on getting rich.