PDA

View Full Version : TV Screen Aspect Ratio

Tosh McCaber
30th Jan 2008, 20:29
Not quite computers- but worth asking.

I’ve just bought a new flat wide-screen telly. It’s hooked up also to Sky+, and a digital recorder. The TV controller comes with a myriad of settings for screen aspect ratio. However- how do we keep the images from being too wide, or too narrow? There seems to be no rhyme or reason to which type of zoom/ aspect ratio will appear on the TV!!

Do we have to harmonise with the Sky+ box? Do we have to have default settings?

Parapunter
30th Jan 2008, 20:34
As I understand it, it's the broadcast format & due to the individual channl you're watching - if you can find a setting called just scan or similar, it should expand the picture to fit the screen.

Parapuner - new Samsung 32" telly, three days in & still fiddling with the settings...

mocoman
30th Jan 2008, 21:12
most channels are now 16:9 although you will still find some, Eurosport is one, that is 4:3

You should choose either the 'smart' setting on your telly or pick 16:9 as the most common format. You'll be able to tell when it's wrong because people start looking distinctly mis-proportioned if you are in the wrong aspect setting

Keef
30th Jan 2008, 21:30
Somewhere in the settings, there's usually an "Automatic".

You'll even hear the thing go "tick" and switch between 4:3 and 16:9 when the adverts come on.

If the set is "16:9" (and most are, these days), you can also tell it with 4:3 whether to leave empty bands each side of the picture, chop the top off, or half-way-between.

Background Noise
30th Jan 2008, 21:31
You might have to set the sky box (not got sky but it applies to other digi boxes) to the AR of the tv, ie 16:9, and the TV has probably got an 'auto' setting or similar. It should then automatically adjust the AR of the input signal/channel - if not there's probably a readily available button on the tv remote to manually select the most appropriate AR.

bugbirdhughes
30th Jan 2008, 21:45
This website explains all (if you can stay awake !) http://gregl.net/videophile/anamorphic.htm I have been in the Audio Visual industry for years and widescreen is still something thats very difficult to explain.
Cheers
Greg