PDA

View Full Version : New use for RAF West Raynham?

The Flying Pram
30th Jan 2008, 13:29
Thought this might be of interest. Taken from todays "Eastern Daily Press".

VISION FOR FUTURE: RAF West Raynham base owner Roger Gawn is hoping to convert redundant aircraft hangars into luxury apartments.

Redundant aircraft hangars in the middle of the Norfolk countryside could be transformed into luxury loft-style apartments with owners arriving in their light aircraft on the original runway. The idea is part of a package of new proposals for the second phase of the rebirth of the former 160-acre RAF West Raynham base put forward by owner Roger Gawn. He is planning to put up a total of 61 new homes – 41 in the married quarters area and 20 in the former officers' houses – and these are being described as "in-fill" plots. His other plans for the site, near Fakenham, include a shop, health centre, gymnasium, community centre and office space. Mr Gawn, who bought the site in a multi-million deal last October, has already released 25 former married quarters for sale and the first occupants are due to move in at the end of February. Tonight, at a public meeting inside the specially reopened former officers' mess – which will become a luxury hotel and spa in the plan – more details will be revealed of his long-term plans for the base, which has stood empty and falling into decay for more than a decade. Mr Gawn yesterday spoke exclusively to the EDP about the next stage of his plans for the base. Contractors have already cleared much of the land of its jungle-like undergrowth. Mr Gawn is particularly excited about the redevelopment of the four giant aircraft hangars which he says will house 20 loft-style holiday apartments on the first floor with open views across the Norfolk countryside. There will be storage for cars and light aircraft on the ground floor. "This is the leisure element of my redevelopment plans and I am really excited about it. "The plans are at an early stage but the idea is that the apartments will be holiday homes and those owners with light aircraft will be able to land their planes on the old restored main runway. "Where else in the country would you get such a location? We have already had some national interest in these proposals," said Mr Gawn. As well as the more basic two and three-bedroom houses, 18 of which are reserved with some buyers due to move in next month, Mr Gawn's company has already started work on the grander-style former officers' homes and this area will also include some new-build in-fill plots. Mr Gawn is to submit outline planning applications for the scheme and he will discuss his plans at tonight's meeting starting at 7.30pm. It is expected that there will be considerable interest in the conversion of the four giant aircraft hangars and each apartment will incorporate two huge square-shaped windows with stunning views across the countryside. Mr Gawn says that one idea he is considering is to complete the loft apartments to a shell finish and the owners will then fit the interiors to their own designs. He has already revealed plans to restore the original control tower near the main runway and turn it into a museum telling the history of RAF West Raynham. Wherever practical he wants to restore the buildings so that part of the history of the base is retained.

LOTA
30th Jan 2008, 18:06
I did a term of imprisonment or 'posting' at WRjust before Gulf War 1. I hoped never to hear the name of the place again...needless to say I won't be buying one of these luxury dwellings.....:)

Mandator
30th Jan 2008, 19:19
A bit of a problem with the main runway - the airfield part of the site has gone back to the original landowners at Raynham Hall and they dug most of it up last year! The planes will have to make do with using the peri track as a runway, but runs between the Tower and the hangars - could be a lot of turbulence depending in wind direction and strength.