PDA

View Full Version : Part 66 now

LeeVanCleef
30th Jan 2008, 11:38
Was wondering if anyone has done the licence course from PART66NOW.com??
Before i jump headlong into it and spend much cash, could anyone let me know if they are any good, or if there are better providers out there.
Its for B2 BTW.

Thanks

LVC

JSaeroengineer
30th Jan 2008, 12:42
I'm contemplating 'enrolling' on the Part66NOW. From the sample learning resources on their website, it looks very professional, but it is a lot of money.
I would wonder if it is more cost effective to buy a bulk of technical textbooks, avionics, basic aerodynamics, engines etc...

LeeVanCleef
30th Jan 2008, 12:49
with that in mind, is it possible to do your own learning as you have said, and just take the exams as and when, without enrolling on the course?

JSaeroengineer
30th Jan 2008, 15:09
You've got me there... I'm not sure if you have to be enrolled in such a course to be able to sit the exams. I'd imagine you could enter for an exam without being on a course, i'm not sure though :confused:
sorry i wasn't any help!
:)

EGT Redline
30th Jan 2008, 15:34
The CAA have numerous exam centres, details of which can be found HERE (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/177/srg_eld_examdatesandvenues.pdf). Anybody can turn up and sit the examinations, simply apply and pay the fee.

Alternatively, Part-147 training organisations run their own in-house examinations which are approved by the authorities. They offer places to external applicants who are not enrolled on one of their courses.

doppleganger
30th Jan 2008, 18:29
Yes, you can self study just from textbooks, and do the exams, one-by-one at any of the CAA exam venues. You must pass all the required exams within a 5-year period (but I've known some people do it in under a year, with extreme dedication).

Use additional online study aids such as club66pro.co.uk, which give you personal tutorial support just as though you were on a course. Most of the questions also have a book reference and page number so you know exactly which books to read.

The self-study route is probably the most common for anyone who is financing themselves, due to it being the most cost efficient, and if you are working, it also allows you to do it in your spare time.

jjlnl
30th Jan 2008, 22:02
Hi all,

I've been using it and found that the level of understanding given on the course is no where deep enough to pass a CAA exam, much additional work is required by yourself to obtain the depth of knowledge required to pass any exam even the multi guess.

The Dodger
2nd Feb 2008, 16:23
I have been using the site for a while now and I have been finding it very useful indeed. JJLNL is right in saying that you do need extra course notes and books, however there is a recomended reading list given out by the tutors. To be honest I have been getting great tutor support from this site. I have been stuck on a few issues and the tutors have gone out of thier way to help me out. It is a good site, it's a little expensive but the support given makes up for it. I do think that this site is alot better than others I have seen and the people that run it are all qualified engineers and know thier stuff. Give it a go:)